DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Se7en question... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/42597-se7en-question.html)

Johan Manders April 7th, 2005 03:07 PM

Se7en question...

I just viewed se7en for the 5th time or so, but this version (I bought recently) is a two disc special edition.
On the second disc there is a guy who is collor correcting some scenes. He is also moving the picture up and down for composition.

My question....does anyone know what software is used here?
It just looked so GREAT!

Thanks!

PS.
Sorry if this was the wrong place to post.

Richard Alvarez April 7th, 2005 03:35 PM

I expect he was color correcting on a Da Vinci system. Yeah, it's a nice system. You can pick one up for a couple of hundred thousand dollars US I believe.

Barry Gribble April 7th, 2005 03:40 PM

Five Hundred Thousand... I went to an open house at a post house in town and they were doing a demo of that system... hardware-based real-time HD color correction that was absolutely astounding.

Luis Caffesse April 7th, 2005 04:49 PM

Yeah, he's working on a Da Vinci....

That's a great color grading demo, if anyone here has any interest in color work I would definitely recommend renting that 2 disc set of Seven. It's worth it just for that.

Johan Manders April 8th, 2005 03:33 AM

I've been looking at their website......darn it's good!
What software package would come (a little bit) near the functions of da Vinci 2K?
The realtime 2K....that's hard to achieve on my PC ;)
But realtime hdv collor correction 'like' that da Vinci should be doable, or not?

Richard Alvarez April 8th, 2005 06:21 AM

Nothing 'comes close' to a Da Vinci in the prosumer range. That's like saying, 'what comes close to a pannavision camera'? Nothing.

Having said that, most of the color correcting tools in the top NLE's choose various aspects of the Da Vincii to emulate, but none of them have all the features or real time capabilities.

Glenn Chan April 8th, 2005 06:55 AM

Combustion with Color Finesse plug-in is very decent for color correction, as is Final Cut + Color Finesse and Vegas. Some of these programs can do things a Da Vinci can't. Combustion does motion tracking, and you can grade images in context of chroma key or compositing.

Final Cut and Combustion have Automatic Duck available for conforming projects into them.

There's also Final Touch HD ($5k) which came out recently and is a dedicated color correction program.

2- Da Vinci is a hardware-based color correction where everything is in real-time. However, it is not as flexible as software-based solutions (i.e. no motion tracking for masks).

There are software-based systems available such as Quantel iQ (it's even more expensive than Da Vinci; somewhere around a million dollars), which seems to be the best for color correction work if you ignore the speed thing.

3- Da Vinci works at 2k resolution now (and I think 4k too).

Luis Caffesse April 8th, 2005 08:48 AM

Color Finesse is a great plugin (especially if you're working on a mac, it's still a bit buggy on the PC). Keep an eye out for Color Finesse 2 hopefully being introduced at NAB. It should add a lot of functionality.

Great program for the price!

Color Finesse Website

A bit pricier option is Final Touch HD from Silicon Color.
At $5,000...it's probably hard to justify. But from what I hear it's an incredible product for the price.

Final Touch HD Website

James Tran April 10th, 2005 02:45 AM

Final Touch HD
System Requirements Computer
Apple Macintosh Dual 2GHz G5
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/XT (X800 highly recommended)
Apple OS 10.3.7

:D a little too much for me to play around at home