Shooting three shorts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 11th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Shooting three shorts

Even if I opened a thread at the PD150/170 forum over this matter, there might not be many people doing video to film projects there.

This Wednesday I will be shooting three 5-minute shorts on the same stage with the same people, using three PD cameras (two 170, one 150), that will be later blown up to 35mm.

Even if I know the basics of this camera, like lowering resolution two or three points, there might be additional tips or advice someone might be providing. And I would be grateful for it.

My idea is to "shoot for 1.85" instead of 1.33, to be hard-matted in editing or in the film transfer later on. Then if video copies are made from the 35mm version they will always be shown wide-screen.

But in order not to lose resolution using the PD150/170 internal 16:9, I was thinking of shooting in plain 4:3. Am I right?

During shooting I was planning to put a blocking tape over the LCD screen so everyone is framing within the 16:9 frame, as I don't think the PDs have 16:9 lines you can use, as apparently the GL2 does.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You could talk to the facility where you want to get the blow-up done, as they will likely give you good tips and pointers. The conversion is going to cost thousands of dollars so it would be stupid not to ask them.

Quote:
But in order not to lose resolution using the PD150/170 internal 16:9, I was thinking of shooting in plain 4:3. Am I right?
You should probably get anamorphic adapters to get the highest resolution for the film blowup.

Shooting progressive PAL will likely give you the highest quality from what I've read. This is compared to shooting interlaced/progressive NTSC (even 24p NTSC). Your area is PAL right?

But anyways, I have zero experience with this. I suggest you phone up people who do.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #3
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : You could talk to the facility where you want to get the blow-up done, as they will likely give you good tips and pointers. The conversion is going to cost thousands of dollars so it would be stupid not to ask them.
-->>>

The transfer will cost me about $3,000/4,000 for the 15 minutes. And I will certainly talk with them. In any case I have already done that, that is talked with many transfer labs, and there's not much they say. I mean that I don't already know.

<<<--
You should probably get anamorphic adapters to get the highest resolution for the film blowup.
-->>>

I forgot to say: that is not an option on this shooting. For many reasons, the main one being that I will be using three cameras. Another being that there are very few ana adaptors here.

<<<--
Shooting progressive PAL will likely give you the highest quality from what I've read. This is compared to shooting interlaced/progressive NTSC (even 24p NTSC). Your area is PAL right?
-->>>

If we were a PAL country, which Brazil is not, I would be much less worried. The NTSC-to-24p step is not the best way to go through. In any case it will be a chance to see how far I can get going this path.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #4
Trustee

In case someone wants it, I put my shooting guideline for the PD150 & 170 here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...129#post300129

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production