Colorization at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 12th, 2002, 11:50 PM   #1
travisterwilligar

Colorization

Does any one have experience altering the colors of their videos to have film like color characteristics? In particular I'm trying to simulate the look of the movie Snatch, where the saturation is toned down, but generally has a green feel to it. This is beyond the cheesyness of plugins like film fx and cinelook.... Is this done in post or using filters and lights?

I've been playing with colors in aftereffects to achieve this look, but after using curves, levels, HSL, tint...etc, I'm still unable to get the colors I want. BTW I've also played with avid 3.5 color correction with noting better. I'm able to get a cheesy attempt, but not quite there. Any Thoughts??
Old October 13th, 2002, 01:23 AM   #2
Outer Circle

You can do this with "pop" filters and with the right type of lighting.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 03:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Also look at Magic Bullet from Toolfarm. It has something called "Look Suite" which mimics that effect pretty darn good.

Regards,
Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 05:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi,
I know I'm in the minority but if you try iMovie2 with the plug-ins from gee Three, their color brightness effect, you can make a normal clip look like a 1950's-1960's color saturated movie. you'll swear your looking at a movie like Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. Try it!

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 05:58 PM   #5
travisterwilligar

Magic Bullett seems to be a nice tool, but I'm on a pc... :(
Old October 14th, 2002, 12:03 AM   #6
Slash Rules!

Frank,

Do tell about these pop filters.

Looking to get a matte box soon, and if you can recommend some filters to get for different looks, that'd be nice. Are there filters that increase contrast? I know I should have a grad. What else?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production