Intestine shot ideas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 13th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #1
New Boot

Intestine shot ideas

I'm shooting a film tommorow and we have all of the special effects shots worked out except for one. There's a shot of a werewolf over a body eating the intestines out. You don't see straight down to the body so it doesn't need to look like there's a cavity. Some people have suggested filling condoms with some blood like mixture but that doesn't seem like it'd be long enough. If any one can help it'd be appreciated.
John A. Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Use intestines...

Seriously. Ask a real butcher where you can get "sausage casings"... don't forget that sausages are made of stuffed intestines. Fill the cassings with with jello.

(Yeah, I worked on the set of "Dawn of the Dead")
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Ahhh- you may want to thoroughly clean and cook that stuff first. Being from Minnesota, and sausage making being a family tradition ya know.

As with any meat product- refridgerate.

Jeff P
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #4
New Boot

Heres a decent one..

Take a pair of pantyhose and cut off both legs. Use a sewing machine or glue gun to make a seam all the way up the middle of each leg (don't make the seam very even). Cut off unneeded halves and turn the others inside out. Fill with cotton or cut up cotton cloth. Twist at random places and make a few stitches to make them look more realistic. Soak in fake blood and let them hang from torn shirt or zombie costume!

On Website:
http://www.costumeideazone.com/tips.asp

James Patty
James Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I spent a week on "Day of the Dead" (I don't know why I listed "dawn" in the previous post.) assisting my good friend and jousting partner Taso Stavrakis. He was stunt co-ordinator and also played "Tores" in the film. (No, I am not credited.)

Tom Savini is an amazing guy, as is Romero. I learned more 'tricks' on that set in ten minutes than I can list.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Tom Savini and Dick Smith put out some videos and books in 1989 that, as a 13 year old, I devoured and helped me get into filmmaking (and horror makeup). Oh, man, those are the days of using real cow guts to get the shot!

heath
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hasn't anyone here heard of chitlins? You can get them at most grocery stores througout the south. Defrost, clean, or not. Oh the smell.....

See if you can get the manufactured skins that are more prevalent when making sausages anymore. Realistic and can be filled with anything.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
I spent a week on "Day of the Dead" (I don't know why I listed "dawn" in the previous post.) assisting my good friend and jousting partner Taso Stavrakis. He was stunt co-ordinator and also played "Tores" in the film. (No, I am not credited.)

Tom Savini is an amazing guy, as is Romero. I learned more 'tricks' on that set in ten minutes than I can list.
I have one of Tom Savini's books on horror film fx techniques. Clever stuff and a good read as well.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Greg,

I have the book and video, Grande Illusions, that I bought in Nov. 1989, along with the Dick Smith book and video. Honestly, I have NO idea where the books are, but the videos just popped up as I was cleaning. Those books and videos launched my film career!

heath
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I got Tom Savinni to autograph my copy of Grande Illusions while I was on the set of "Day". Watching him work was really amazing. He gave me a set of Zombie teeth, I loaned them to a friend one halloween... and , uh yeah, he 'lost' them. Bummer.

Still, I have some great memories of watching Taso's head getting ripped off while I stood off camera eating a sandwhich.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production