DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Blood. . .BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/44988-blood-bloooooooooooood.html)

Josh Bass May 21st, 2005 09:54 AM

Blood. . .BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

I had an idea I wanted to execute, and it will involve "blood," specifically dripping out of my mouth in large quantities. I was wondering if anyone had any cheap homemade solutions that were non-toxic, and fairly liquidy (I know you can use corn syrup and food coloring, and I've done it, but I remember it being quite viscous. I need something that'll run/drip easily).

Whatcha got?

Richard Alvarez May 21st, 2005 10:55 AM

Josh,

Dilute the corn syrup. three to one.

Josh Bass May 21st, 2005 11:38 AM

ah. Interesting. By three to one, you mean one cup water to three cups corn syrup, or the other way around? Never was much good at chemistry.

Dylan Couper May 21st, 2005 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass
ah. Interesting. By three to one, you mean one cup water to three cups corn syrup, or the other way around? Never was much good at chemistry.

3 water to 1 syrup if I remember correctly. There are lots of recipies for fake blood, and you might want it thicker depending on the look you want. Best thing is to just keep playing with it...

...Oh yeah, and do it in the bathtub where it is easy to clean...

Josh Bass May 21st, 2005 02:09 PM

Well, here's what I'm goin' for:

At first, it'll just sort of trickle out of my mouth. . .and then at the end, I shall open my oral cavity and it shall gush out in a torrent of sanguine beauty.

Dilute syrup and then add coloring? Or does it matter?

Marco Leavitt May 21st, 2005 02:26 PM

After diluting, you might try adding a dash of Hershey's syrup to keep it from getting to transparent. Also, you might want to look at using milk instead of water to dilute it with. It colors nicely.

Richard Alvarez May 21st, 2005 04:45 PM

Josh,

I've used GALLONS of blood in my mouth, from my jousting days. Three cups of water to one of syrup. Add red food coloring... Several drops, and then a tiny bit of blue. Shake well. This will give it that deep rich color. (Some guys like green). Toss in some peanut butter for lung material.

have fun.

Dylan Couper May 21st, 2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Josh,

I've used GALLONS of blood in my mouth, from my jousting days.
have fun.

Ok, there's no way you are getting out of explaining that one!! :)

Richard Alvarez May 21st, 2005 06:53 PM

Dylan,

Long ago, in a galaxy far far away... I owned a jousting company. Produced, directed, performed medieval jousts for renaissance festivals, theme parks and film work.

Sucked up my share of 'fake blood'. Worst mistake ever, switching a 'mouth pack' for a 'body pack'. Mouth packs were, as stated, a syrup/water mix.

Body packs were a baby shampoo mix. (Washes out of costumes, and gives those great bubbling chest wounds.)

Imagine my horror biting down on the wrong pack, the expression and choking only added to the performance I guess... hard to lay still after being killed, all the while wanting to heave.

Josh Bass May 21st, 2005 07:49 PM

Awesome story!

Dylan Couper May 21st, 2005 09:45 PM

Ok, that story lived up to my expectations! :)

Heath McKnight May 23rd, 2005 08:34 AM

I got into filmmaking from wanting to do makeup f/x, and for over 15 years I've been using a bottle of clear corn syrup, a bottle (the big one) of red food coloring and 3 drops of blue. I never had problems with it being to thick coming out of the mouth. And btw, that recipe comes from makeup legend Dick Smith.

heath

Josh Bass May 23rd, 2005 12:55 PM

You use the whole bottle? Wow.

I'm gonna go buy some stuff and play around with it. 3 drops of blue: is that for the whole bottle of red coloring and corn syrup? I was just going to mix it to taste.

Heath McKnight May 23rd, 2005 01:01 PM

I use the whole bottle, because you may need extra takes. Now keep in mind, there is one large bottle of red food coloring, about 2-3 inches tall, at the supermarket which is what you need for the whole bottle of corn syrup. At the grocery stores in South Florida, you can only buy the red food coloring in the large bottle.

heath

Richard Alvarez May 23rd, 2005 01:08 PM

Josh

Add the red first. THEN add the blue, a drop at a time to get what you want. Don't just look at it in the bottle, take an eyedropper, and drip a bit on your wrist to see how it looks against the skin... see how it flows as well as how it reflects the light. It's a subjective thing... but you'll know what looks 'fake' and what looks 'real'.

Funny but true story. In the midst of a fight after we were unhorsed, my partner clocks me in the mouth and nose accidentally. Blood is flowing from my nose and mouth, and some guy in the audience shouts "FAKE". I turn to him, and blow it out of my nose. He probably spent the next hour trying to figure out how I got the 'blood capsule' up my nose.