Some AE 24p Tests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 29th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Some AE 24p Tests

Okay, so I shot some footage in Frame mode with my pv-dv953. I imported the files into after effects and set the interpretation to NOT de-interlace, or No seperating of fields. I then dropped the 29.97 frame mode footage into a 23.976 composition. The results are nice looking. Below are two renders of the footage. One has frame-blending enabled and the other does not. It doesn't seem like much difference between the two. I also did not include the audio for these videos, but I can verify that there was NO audio off-sync. This is just another way to get the 24p look we all want. Let me know what your opinion is.

(BTW the footage is soft because of the gain that was turned on, lowlight=eek)

www.rch-e.com/temp/non-blended.mov
www.rch-e.com/temp/blended.mov
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I would guess this is the equivilant of Posterize Time (to 24 frames) in Premiere. In non-blending mode, it is just throwing away every fifth frame. You should be able to compare frame by frame to the original footage. It would be easier to compare if there was more motion in the clip.

In blending mode, all frames will be blended. It may not be as crisp as some people want.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Okay, I captured some more footage with more motion. The first clip is the raw frame mode footage transferred to 23.976 as described above. The second is the finished special effect. All nonblended.

www.rch-e.com/temp/noblend.mov
www.rch-e.com/temp/noblend-saber.mov
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Riley, that's a pretty sweet effect. Very nicely done.

Can you post the original 29.97 clip, to compare?
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Major Player

okay here is the 29.97 frame mode footage

www.rch-e.com/temp/30-frame-wide.mov

Upon watching this clip alongside the 24p clip I can only see a slight difference in smoothness/faster. The raw frame mode footage looking a bit smoother of course. In my opinion this method of going to 24p looks great and delivers the fastest render times since you dont have to deinterlace the footage. I haven't seen any footage be offsync with audio yet either. Lemme know your opinions.
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

lightsaber

Hi Riley

That footage looks nice once its blended. I have a question, did you make the lightsaber in AE using the "beam" effect? If so how did you make it blur so nice when its in motion? also if you did do it in AE did you set key frames frame by frame for it?

Thanks alot,
Chris.
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Riley,

Well, there is a reason it is so fast. It is simply throwing away every fifth frame. Go back and compare it frame for frame. You'll see that both clips match exactly until the fifth frame. The 24fps version jumps right on to frame 6, discarding frame 5.

30fps: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
24fps: 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 11

Josh
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Major Player

i know it throws out every 5th frame, but does it look good is the question, as far as 24p is concerned. The idea is that you use the motion blur and "deinterlacing" from frame mode and change to 24p.

Last edited by Riley Harmon; June 1st, 2005 at 12:10 AM.
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production