DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Online streaming film sales (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/45595-online-streaming-film-sales.html)

Dylan Couper June 2nd, 2005 06:57 PM

Online streaming film sales

Ok, this is new to me, so bear with me...

I read something recently about web self distribution for indie filmmakers. Basically you host your movie on your site, and charge dirt cheap rates to stream it, like $0.50-$2. For $1-$3 you let people download it for multiple viewings. And obviously, if they want to buy a DVD, you sell them for whatever you can.

I've never seen this done on anyone's website. Has anyone else? I'm curious to see if it is a viable avenue for making a return on anything.

Heath McKnight June 2nd, 2005 08:02 PM

Well, market, market, market! I guess I could burn my own DVDs, pay a fee and sell my films myself instead of www.customflix.com, but I like not having the hassle. Plus the time and raw costs kind of outweigh the split I have with CF.

Same thing with self-web distribution: money! Probably costs more to host than cut a deal with someone else, if they pick you up for distribution.

heath

Val Mueller June 6th, 2005 05:59 PM

I would like to say that I agree with the above statement. I also use Customflix.com and am Very Very happy with them!

I enjoy not having to deal with the "Fullfillment" portion, where I can focus on making the movies. However, I am not knocking the "pay to watch or download" idea.

If you find a link of someone doing it post it so we can check it out.

Dylan Couper June 6th, 2005 09:47 PM

So far, I have not found anyone doing it. If anyone else reading this knows anyone, please point us in their direction!

Heath McKnight June 6th, 2005 10:58 PM

www.transmissionfilms.com contacted me in 2003 or 2004 about my first film, but I never heard back after I sent it. Not even a "not interested." Must've been bad.

heath

Rob Lohman June 12th, 2005 03:49 AM

I've read some studies that the general internet population isn't really ready
to pay-for-content yet (in general). Why would someone look at a movie on
your site when he/she can watch dozens of free ones on every other website
(kinda)? Now if you build a name then that is something else.

Another issue might be payment. How are people going to pay such "small"
amounts to you? You need something people in general trust, like PayPal
(not sure if it can work [to your advantage] with such small amounts).

What I have been thinking about is doing a web-series and allow everyone
to stream or download the episode in small resolution for free. If they want
larger (full SD?) resolution they'll have to pay or buy a DVD with x episodes
on it.

In that case they can watch some episodes see if they like it, if so and they
want better quality they might be more inclined to pay? In this case it would
also be easier to say "help this non-professional out financially"?