Swords: How Can I Get Realistic Swords? Please Help. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #16
Capt. Quirk

They had the sword from the Xena tv show on auction not long ago, and it was a plastic type sword. Looking at the still pics of it, it did look extremely phony. Watching the show though, it was hard to tell.
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Keith,

I've worked with plastic doubles of real swords, and they look pretty good on camera. They will hold up moderately well to combat, if you spend time choreographing the moves, and pulling the punches. The pluss side is they weigh a lot less, and hence move much faster and cause less damage than real steel if they hit. They sound like crap though! (Cue the foley artists) They are also pretty expensive, because they are custom made to be replicas of the steel ones.

I'm afraid Drew isn't going to find a cheap - safe - realistic solution. Kinda like that quality triangle - "Cheap, Fast, Good" - you can have two of the three, but not all of them.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I found these swords which claim to be functional and useable for fighting. They are pretty cheap too. Does anyone know anything about these Stage Steel swords?

http://www.knightsedge.com/stage-steel-swords.htm
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Drew,
They look to be a knock off of Starfire Swords http://www.starfireswords.com/web-pa...pages/home.php

I've used Starfire blades, and they're tough as nails. They also replace them if they ever break. Great deal.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Meinecke
I found these swords which claim to be functional and useable for fighting. They are pretty cheap too. Does anyone know anything about these Stage Steel swords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jeffery

(They also have rapiers that currently aren't posted on the website.)
Yeah, Knight's Edge makes pretty darn good stage steel. I have two swords from them.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:47 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
You might also look around for a local SCA chapter. These are the folk who do medieval reinactments. The often have staged battles with weapons.
Hmmm... in my experience, for combat, they are usually using PVC or wood wrapped in foam wrapped in duct tape! NOT realistic in looks! The better looking ones are just for show... (or non-SCA sanctioned activities).
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:51 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but almost any Martial Arts supply place on the web (there are thousands) have weapons in "kata" (showy), practice, and combat categories - often much cheaper than stage weaponry. Again, they tend to be asian-style, but may be worth checking out. Talk to some schools in your area or on the web to find out which are sturdy enough and safe enough for your needs.
Barry Werger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production