DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   transferring dvd to film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/467455-transferring-dvd-film.html)

Michael Alexa November 10th, 2009 01:42 PM

transferring dvd to film

hi,
not sure which forum to post in.

hoping to find information from someone, anyone, who has knowledge and/or experience with putting their digital film onto 16 or 35mm film.

produced a 78 min narrative using canon a1 and fcp6. shot in hd at 24p setting. now looking into transfer for film festival screenings.

thanks for any help and/or direction,
michael

Adam Stanislav November 11th, 2009 12:28 AM

Not personal experience, but I know dvfilm.com has been around for quite a while, and transferring digital video to film is what they do.

Greg Flowers November 24th, 2009 12:37 PM

I would first make sure you absolutely need to transfer it to film. Film transfers are terribly expensive and aren't usually required anymore. Almost all film festivals these days (at least in the US) give you another lower cost option to show it.

Sundance allows HDCAM which may look even better than a film transfer when projected through a decent digital projector and at a fraction of the cost. Some allow BetaSP, digibeta, DV, HDV, or plain DVD for exhibition.

DV Film Maker charges $450/min to transfer HD resolution files to 35mm. Barring some significant discount, that equals $35,100 to transfer your film to 35mm in HD resolution.

Brian Drysdale November 28th, 2009 10:48 AM

I'd use a copy of your video master rather than a DVD if you're planning to do a transfer to film.

For one off prints the Cinevator makes a lot of sense, but I'd check if you really need a 35mm print for the festivals you hope to enter.

Peyton Quinn February 3rd, 2010 09:59 PM

Sony HVR Z7U aquisiton for transfer to 35 mm film?

While I do have some experience as tech advisor and as a explosives and weapons master on two major films, I realize I am out of my depth in digital video acquisition for conversion to 35 mm film for distributions as a feature film.

I am thinking on buying two Sony HVRZ7U cameras because they have the three-bayonet lug type lens capability. So though expensive, cinematic lenses can be used with this camera which I believe will give it a more "film look".

I have seen that in HD digital, the lens is quite significant in giving the HD video a “film like appearance”

Most of the last few years I have concentrated on the ‘business end’ of it almost exclusively, marketing, distribution avoiding the “standard contract’ and the distribution sharks etc. I do know Hollywood a bit and don’t want o know nay more. One would be hard pressed to find a lower collection of worthless, back stabbing trash than dominates that industry for the most part.

I will finance this feature film myself and through a limited partnership. The shot will be entirely on my ranch in Colorado and I have a 2400 sq ft sound stage and dormitories for the film crew. Nobody who is needed leaves until the production is in the can. I figure a 23 day shoot maybe less.

It seems I can’t find anyone who has used the Sony HVRZ7U for acquisition and then 35 mm transfer. Does anybody here know anything about this or anyone who has done it?

I will be looking to hire two experienced Sony HVRZ7U operators, ideally with some cinematic experience (but that is not likely I imagine).

My hope is to shoot this puppy in 2010, this summer. Post here or email me at peytonq1@gmail.com

So you know I am for real look me up on any search engine and go to my web site at free dvd self-defense training and see my million dollar plus production facility and what I now use it for.. Peyton Quinn and peace be with you all.