Simple Question: DV to 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 28th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Simple Question: DV to 24p

I just want to know if it is possible to take raw footage from a regular miniDV camera, and convert it to 24p without getting that choppy look, and if so how.
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #2
Trustee

It is not hard but it requires knowing how to shoot it BEFORE you dump it into your editor. Here is what I have found to look best...

- if you can soften the image in camera by adjusting the sharpness ALL the way down, then do

- shoot in INTERLACED mode, not 30P

- shoot with the shutter at 1/60

- shoot with slow cinematic moves and control the DOF as much as possible

You can then use any number of software deinterlacers... the most popular on PC is Magic Bullet....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Jay, all 24p has a bit of "choppiness" when compared with 60i. If you go head to head looking at the same footage in 24p and 60i you will certainly notice the effect. However, this is really the same as with actual film. If you put your 24p head to head with a film on DVD, the motion will be pretty much the same.

It's all perception.

The one thing that exacerbates the choppiness is in-focus backgrounds because of the deep depth of field of consumer camcorders. So, avoid crazy camera moves. Keep them slow and smooth.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I know its going to be a bit choppy, but when I attempted to convert from regular video to 24p it was much too choppy, not at all what I wanted or what 24p is supposed to look like.
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Here's some 60i->24p I'm pretty pleased with (Vegas 6).

http://www.twodogfilms.com/Patrick/24p.mov
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Jay,

There are innumerable methods to do the conversion, all with their pros and cons. Can you tell us how you did it, and we can offer some suggestions?

Josh
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

First of all I have Media Studio Pro 7

I captured the video from my camera as regular DV Type AVI
then brought the video into Video Editor and re exported it.

However when I exported it, I choose DV Encoder 24P (2:3:3:2)

When I watched this, the video was just plain messed, a lot more choppy then it possibly should be. I know how film is slightly stuttery, but this was much more than that.
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Jay,

2:3:3:2 also known as 24P Advanced is a storage format, not a playback format. For regular viewing you'll want normal 2:3 pulldown.

Josh
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

so if I do that same thing, only select the 2:3 codec, I will be properly converting 60i video to 24P?
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #10
Major Player

Jay,

No, not all. That's not a good way to convert to 24p, but it will be smoother than 2:3:3:2 in any case.

Converting 60i to 24p, interlaced to progressive, indicates some form of deinterlacing to create full progressive frames without interlacing artifacts. Also, since 24 does not go evenly into 60, the conversion needs to use some method of lining up or sampling to compensate for the different cadence.

Each NLE or stand-alone software package for 24p conversion uses some varying method to do the deinterlacing and the time compensation. It varies significantly from product to product and each different approach has pros and cons in how much detail is preserved in the image, how smooth the motion looks, and potentially artifacts from the method used.

I don't recall anyone here discussing Media Studio Pro 7, and what it does. There has been much discussion about Premiere, Vegas, DVFilm Maker, Magic Bullet, Nattress, and some others.

A simple test of what MSP7 is doing would be to export and post a short clip. We can take a look at it and see if we can reverse engineer what it is up to. However, simply exporting to a 2:3 format is not generally considered "conversion" to 24p.

Everything I read on the Ulead site indicates MSP7 supports editing footage "shot" at 24p on a DVX100A or XL2, not that it converts 60i to 24p.
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I don't know how to post video on the internet, but from what I saw from the rendering video, some of it worked fine, only slightly less smooth the the original video, but some was really shaky, and didn't look right at all. I wasn't sure if this was my computer having difficulty playing the video, or if it just didn't work
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:40 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have tried the vegas 6 60i to 24p 2:3 conversion to mpeg2 for DVD (all templates in vegas 6) and it is by far the easiest and best conversion for DVD that I have managed to create. Magic Bullet and Fields Kit, while they might de-interlace a little better did not give the same smooth playing result as Vegas does. And the workflow is much faster, so I would at least give that a try.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 04:52 PM   #13
New Boot

I just got Vegas 6 and I was wondering how you go about converting 60i to 24p using the 2:3:3:2 pulldown. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I found out how to render as 24p, 2-3-3-2 pulldown as an AVI, but how can I Render it as an Mpeg2? All there are for templates is like DVD NTSC, and then there is a DVD Architect 24p stream, but no options for a 2:3:3:2 pulldown for mpeg2.

Last edited by Johnny Lucus; July 3rd, 2005 at 05:35 PM.
Johnny Lucus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production