DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Why does this look so bad? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/469918-why-does-look-so-bad.html)

Keegan Quiroz December 23rd, 2009 09:59 AM

Why does this look so bad?

Why does this look so bad? I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum for this.

Perrone Ford December 23rd, 2009 10:06 AM

How many reasons do you want?

How the heck are we supposed to answer your question?

1. What do YOU think is wrong with it. That might help us figuring out what you're talking about.

2. What did you shoot it on (camera)

3. How did you edit it (program, codec, etc.)

4. How did you compress it for upload.

Looks fine to me for home video...

Keegan Quiroz December 23rd, 2009 10:24 AM

That's the thing. I'd like it to look more professional a lot of the shots were just like me holding a camera so there's not much I can do about that but the other aspects of it like the quality of the footage and the whole color deal is what I'd like to concentrate on. To answer your questions I'm shooting on a Canon XH A1 and editing with Final Cut and grading in Color. I'm not worried about the exporting process I have that pretty figured out. Thanks

Marty Welk December 23rd, 2009 10:42 AM

At the first break the 2 pans with something else, have done an overview shot or something. re-contrast the 2 pans to match the contrast of the other shots, or just toss one of the pans.
Edit out the parts were it goes really out of focus, take out the black frames where it glitches, take out the dirt shots by cutting earlier, remove the few sections where a camera move is started then abruptly cut. then for us regular folks intermix the two different field areas more, so it doesnt get redundant. cut down that one slow part, after the guy is standing there in the pic. resync to the music you used cause that went with it well.

well you asked :-) those are the first most obvious things that hopped into my brain.
the last thing would be the color being a bit high, but beings i dont have this monitor set to high, its not terrible.

anything else i would say , dont show it on the web :-) because frame rate and compression on the web display stuff is probably hurting it some, so what do i know without seeing the real thing.

Robert Lane December 23rd, 2009 10:53 AM

Right, there's nothing that's Mac-specific about this post since it's all about the creative/technical process of making a video. Probably best suited to either the "techniques" or "production methods" categories.

Marty is on-track with the quick overview of the issues that make this look like amateur-ish video. I'd add that the frame-rate looks too slow, as if it were shot at 24 0r 30fps and should have been a 60fps sequence.

My suggestion Keegan, is to spend time reading about - and watching - proper composition and setup techniques for fast-action sequences like this one.

Learn and practice your manual follow-focus techniques (often difficult even for experienced shooters not used to using manual focus controls) and how to pre-set shots based on where you expect your subject to be in the frame rather than playing "catch-up" after they've moved in and out of your prime composition area.

You're not far off from what you've attempted here, your just need some more knowledge and polish on your camera skills is all. Keep it up!

Keegan Quiroz December 23rd, 2009 10:53 AM

Thanks a ton! I really do appreciate advice like this because a lot of the time they're be really obvious things and I'll be concentrating on other stuff and miss it. I think I'm figuring out the technical part a little bit now I just need to concentrate on the shooting aspect. That's where it gets reaaaaaaly bad for me haha.

William Hohauser December 23rd, 2009 11:31 AM

Everyone has good points here, I'll just add that you shouldn't get caught up in the technical aspects so much. As Robert says, get more acquainted with the physical aspects of your camera: focus, zoom, exposure. Focus is hard on these cameras but you can get it.

More Mac specific; don't worry about using Color so much, get the editing down first: cuts and transitions. Get a feeling on how to eliminate footage and rearrange it for the best effect. Later learn how to use the filters in FCP and then experiment with Color. Watch some sport events on TV and see how they shoot and edit it. Don't always imitate but incorporate their techniques into your own style.

You video wasn't bad at all, just rough and a bit too long.

Calvin Bellows December 23rd, 2009 11:56 AM

Tripod?

One other thing with the footage would be try to keep your tripod out of the shot. For some reason tripods always stick out to me. I put mine behind me if I am not using it.

Keegan Quiroz December 23rd, 2009 12:04 PM

That's another thing, my tripod sucks. It's for digital cameras I think and for anything other than still shots it's ridiculously bad. Should I invest in a fluid head setup or just get good at handheld stuff?

William Hohauser December 23rd, 2009 12:13 PM

Try to get good with hand held although many cameras are hard to ever hold steady. Invest in a Spiderbrace. Use a monopod. Don't zoom in so much.

Keegan Quiroz January 4th, 2010 02:04 PM

yeah

any advice on this? the first clips are pretty two old while the last 2 places are newer. Thanks!

Sort of cool thing maybe part 1 Video - Pinkbike.com

Alex Payne April 15th, 2010 10:18 AM

As Robert Rodirguez says, a mediocre tripod sucks, a great tripod sucks, but a CRAPPY tripod is where it's at!
As with any piece of equipment, buying something very advanced too early is just going to be a waste of money. Once you're great with the tripod you've got and know exactly how a better tripod will benefit, and more importantly that you do in fact NEED those benefits (you probably don't) then don't bother with it.

Don't get discouraged, just keep making movies and don't expect too much. The more movies you make the better they'll be.

James Jeon April 16th, 2010 10:17 AM

if you slowdown the clips, uncheck the frame blending option. it makes your clips look blurry