uprez using compressor--questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 25th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

uprez using compressor--questions

Hi all. I'm attempting to uprez an SD project to 1920x1080, interlaced, using compressor. this is for display on a theater screen. I've been submitting 10 second cilps to test settings, and have a few questions.

On the frame controls tab on the compressor settings, you have several options like antialiasing, and detail.

My tests indicate that anything higher than 0 detail adds a touch of green to the picture, which I don't care for. Cranking it to 100 seems to be like adding a sharpening filter in FCP (you can really only see the difference when you zoom the movie to "double size".

I'm also curious to how effective/detrimental the noise reduction filter is that you can add via compressor. I've tried it on my tests and can't see a real difference, but the video also won't playback correctly! My machine's not powerful to handle 27mb/second HD with smooth playback, so I can only scroll through the file with the playhead.

So far I'm thinking I'm going to go with 100 antialiasing (highest), no detail (0), and possibly noise reduction.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

Ok, more questions. So a friend tells me that all HD is upper field dominant, while my clip/sequence settings for the initial SD project are lower field dominant. So, if I uprez using compressor, do I want to set the output file to have upper field dominance since it will be HD? Or do I leave it lower field as with the source material (DV)?

Furthermore, there are two different places to set field dominance in compressor, one under the video settings button, and one under the frame controls tab. Set both to upper/lower?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production