360 degree tracking effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 12th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1
New Boot

360 degree tracking effect

Does anyone know how the effect of seemingly tracking 360 degrees around a subject is achieved? I see this more and more in movies.

Thanks,
Zach
Zach Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes, a track is laid 360 degrees around the subject, the camera is on a dolly on those tracks, and the camera circles the subject.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Alternatively, a steadicam operator can be employed to circle the subject in question as well. An additional effect is to have the subject on a turntable that rotates, sometimes with the camera, sometimes in the opposite direction of the camera circling and sometimes with the camera stationary.

My wife is a Steadicam operator and has done this shot on a number of occasions.

Now, if you are talking about where the action freezes and the camera rotates around the subject a'la The Matriz (called bullet time), this is done on a green screen stage with a set of still cameras arranged around the subject. A film camera is at each end of the arc. The still cameras are all triggered at the same time and the resultant footage is assembled so that the effect appears to be frozen in time and arcing around the subject.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...bullettime.jpg
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #4
New Boot

I understand how tracks and steadicams work and know about bullet time from the gazillion articles on it when the Matrix came out. I can recall seeing the turntable trick, although it's a bit more stylized than what I'm talking about.

I was really just wondering how they avoid shooting lights, boom mics, etc. The answer might be as simple as just using a short lens and being very careful. I can't remember if I've mostly seen this technique used outdoors...
Zach Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gold View Post
I understand how tracks and steadicams work and know about bullet time from the gazillion articles on it when the Matrix came out. I can recall seeing the turntable trick, although it's a bit more stylized than what I'm talking about.

I was really just wondering how they avoid shooting lights, boom mics, etc. The answer might be as simple as just using a short lens and being very careful. I can't remember if I've mostly seen this technique used outdoors...
Boom Mic and lights are on the dolly when it's done that way. There is a scene on a rooftop in the movie The Departed, that was shot this way. American Cinematographer had a nice photo of it. I'll see if I can dig it up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production