Best method to PAL 24p from which raw footage - 30p or 60i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 20th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best method to PAL 24p from which raw footage - 30p or 60i?

I own the Casio Exilim EX-F1 camera.

It can shoot in HD 1280x720 30fps (progressive) or FHD 1920x1080 60 fields per sec (interlaced).

I plan to shoot something that I want to convert to 24p ... Not that it makes any difference, but I also plan to letterbox it for 2.35:1 CinemaScope (by masking the top and bottom)... Thereby ending up with 1920 x 817.

I'm trying to work out the best workflow for this. The tools I have are Twixtor, CS4 suite (including AF and Premiere)... I also have Procoder 3 and TMPGEnc 4 should I need to rewrap the .mov AVCHD H.264 files that the Casio generates... (But I can edit these natively in Premiere).

My question is, do I shoot in 30fps or 60i? (Bet you're going to say 60i)...
If so, what workflow to convert to 24p do you recommend?

Many thanks,
Kris Koster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production