Living with a WIDE D.O.F. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 8th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #16
Wrangler

A wide shot with deep depth of field can absolutely look cinematic, but to me originating on DV is already handicapping that possibility--as Josh says, play to the strengths of the medium.

Anamorphic 35mm compared to 1/3 DV represents a nearly 9x magnification factor, meaning that a given field of view with an anamorphic lens will be matched by a focal length 9x longer in DV--easy to see how the shallow depth of field comes about!
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:23 AM   #17
Major Player

So the anti-wide shot policy is in fact a resolution issue. Now that I understand, and that I have experienced with DV. I think I'll just have to do more math next time I shoot something.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production