DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   smoke/fog machine for music video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/476309-smoke-fog-machine-music-video.html)

Lee Tamer April 6th, 2010 10:32 AM

smoke/fog machine for music video

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but does anyone have any knowledge of smoke/fog machines?

I'm looking for a relatively affordable one, under $100 to use in a music video.

Could anyone suggest one?

Adam Gold April 6th, 2010 11:56 AM

I see a lot of them in "party supply" and craft stores, especially around Halloween. They are also relatively ubiquitous on the web. Cosco (not Costco) is a brand name that springs to mind.

They come in water-based and oil-based. Unless you want an oily slick all over everything when you're done shooting, I'd stick with water-based.

Adam Chapman April 6th, 2010 12:33 PM

We just bought one to add to our music gigs. The best place to look is under dj equipment.

Are you going to be inside or out? That'll make a difference to see how much cubic feet you'll need to cover. Some of the midrange foggers have timers on the remote so you can set and forget about it.

We bought this one:
American DJ Dyno-Fog II Fog Machine and more Fog, Bubble & Snow Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

Check some out some others here:
Fog, Bubble and Snow Effects including Elation, Chauvet, and Lighting

Shaun Roemich April 6th, 2010 01:24 PM

As well, are you SURE you want a fog machine? Fog machines look like... FOG. Thick opaque smoke that you can't see much through until it thins out. Also lowers overall contrast ratio if used full frame.

If you are looking for that volumetric light look (where you can see light emanating from it's sources as it was a cone), you are looking for a HAZER - significantly more expensive.

Lee Tamer April 6th, 2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Chapman (Post 1510609)
We just bought one to add to our music gigs. The best place to look is under dj equipment.

Are you going to be inside or out? That'll make a difference to see how much cubic feet you'll need to cover. Some of the midrange foggers have timers on the remote so you can set and forget about it.

[/url]

Its going to be inside. for the guitar solo I want to emulate the feel of being at a concert. The subject in front of a black backdrop and the smoke/fog coming from behind the subject, and possibly the back or fill light using a blue gel illuminating the smoke/fog.

Adam Chapman April 6th, 2010 02:00 PM

One of those foggers I mention will work for your cause. With foggers, it's best to let it spray out and then the air will even out. We've done some photos with some and after you color it, they look great.

My only other word of advice is that with water based foggers, they evaporate quicker than using oil based foggers/hazers. If you decide to get one, play with it before you need it on shoot day.

Lee Tamer April 6th, 2010 02:07 PM

The other thing I want to try is the subject walking into the smoke and slowly appearing after it fades away. Like what you would see in a Film Noir movie. I hope that makes sense

Adam Chapman April 6th, 2010 02:21 PM

If Film Noir is the style your going for, it'll sounds like you are getting on the right track. Make sure you have a pretty strong light to spill through the fog.

I forgot to mention, we found out using water based fog is very very sensitive to air movement and wind. If you want it to disappear faster, work on cueing a fan with the fog to blow it away or backwards from your actor. It could give you pretty cool effect.

Lee Tamer April 6th, 2010 02:29 PM

Does anyone know anything about this one? Its pretty cheap