Im New at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 15th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #1
New Boot

Im New

I just bought a digital camcorder a week or so ago and know very little about the technical part of video.

Is there anyone out there who would be kind enough to list a couple of ways of getting a film look? Please dont get to technical when explaining.
Steven Jonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Wrangler

I think it will be difficult to give you a nice neat laundry list for getting a "film look." Since you are so new to this, why not pick up a book or two that you can read at your own pace? We have a whole forum dedicated to this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Personally, I really enjoyed Scott Billups book "Digital Moviemaking" which is now in its second edition. You should be able to find it at your local Barnes and Noble or Borders, or at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, there are literally a million sites devoted to it. It is complicated, and no one process works for all instances.

Of primary importance is the kind of camera you have, so let us know and we could provide more specific info on frame/movie mode and other internal functions for film look. Probably of secondary importance is the editing software.

Specifically, I was looking for a simple seven or nine step outline that was going around the internet. It was in raw text format, maybe reprinted to something more permanent. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, post a link. It outlined the basics in ascending order of importance. Colour saturation, crush blacks, shoot with good lighting, frame rate, you know the drill.

Here are two links to get you started.

http://www.lafcpug.org/feature_video_film_copy.html
http://www.urbanfox.tv/production/filmlookindex.htm

And my two cents, for price and everything, people have been raving about Vegas 6's 24p pulldown function. Looks perfect, people say, when the input is professional looking.

DJ
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4
New Boot

I just bought a canon zr100. Its not much, but I love it anyway.
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Forget about film look right now and just shoot everything you can. Maybe watch a movie you like and recreate a simple scene. There is much talk about "film look" on these and other forums but 90% of the stuff I see with the 24P film look has poor framing, lighting, etc. etc. etc. For someone just starting you need to learn how the various camera controls effect the image.

The ZR100 has a TINY CCD so you arent going to get any depth of field so focus on framing wide shots and cutting them with extreme close-ups. When you get good at framing your shots, maybe you can step up to a camera with more controls....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #6
New Boot

Im sorry, but whats depth of field.
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #7
New Boot

Nevermind, I learned what depth of field is.
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kinney
Well, there are literally a million sites devoted to it.
I think you mean 'figuratively'. :)
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes. Figuratively. I "literally" mean than there are 106,000, according to the book of Google. Amen.

Still. That's plenty.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #10
Major Player

LOL, yeah, I was kidding around. But yes, there are lots.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production