help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 18th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

help?

Hi all, i want to achieve a certain artistic look.

A silhouette look.

How do i get it so the background (location) is in light whereas the person is dark? Is it just using a backlight to light them. Can i do it naturally?

YouTube - Sunsets and Silhouettes

Thanks Ollie
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Expose for the highlights. As long as your background is far lighter than the foreground subject, just lock your exposure on the brighter background and this will under expose the foreground subject. How much depends on the difference in light levels between the two.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Try not to get any strong lights directly in the shot (eg the sun) because they will cause lens flares and you'll end up with light patches all over your dark areas.

As Adrian said, use backlight and expose for the brighest part of the image. Then in post bring your shadows down even further to really get a nice black silhouette.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production