DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Frameforge vs Storyboard Quick/Artist (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/479054-frameforge-vs-storyboard-quick-artist.html)

Hayzen Chen May 20th, 2010 12:03 PM

Frameforge vs Storyboard Quick/Artist

Anyone here use or tried these software? Any opinions as to which is better and why? I'm thinking of buying one but not sure which to get (if at all) because Storyboard Quick/Artist doesn't seem to have a usable demo.

Dennis Stevens May 20th, 2010 06:49 PM

I've used frameforge and I like it. I found it very easy to use. The storyboards can be exported in many formats, even a little quicktime animatic to show to others. I haven't used the other program you mention.

Sareesh Sudhakaran May 20th, 2010 11:20 PM

it depends on what your strengths are and what you require for production. Frameforge gets you into practical details and shot flow - in 3D - in a very intuitive and easy way (but is a drain on system resources). Storyboard Artist is only for storyboarding.

Eric Lagerlof May 31st, 2010 10:26 AM

FF is a great program and would definately recommend it. Sorry I have not used the other one so I cannnot compare the two. That said, Frame Forge will allow you to set up an imager size in preferences, i.e. 35mm, 16mm, 2/3", etc. When coupled with 'real world' distances you can use in setting up your storyboard scenes, this allows you to get an idea of the focal lengths and camera placement needed to get your shot framed the way you want. You can also use FF for multiple camera placement with multiple views. It will also give you an overhead view-the 'blueprint' view- that you can use on site to tell your crew where to set stuff up.

The downside to FF is a loss of artistic expression. If you are an artist, hand drawn storyboards can convey mood and inform production design in a way that FF doesn't. Though you can 'rountrip' a frame from FF to your favorite image editor like Photoshop, touch it up and re-import back into FF.

Jim Ross October 1st, 2010 03:25 PM

FrameForge works well especially if your artistic skills do not include pen and paper. I can't even draw decent stick figures. But as the other fellow pointed out you don't have much artistic expression using it. Then again I don't have any artistic expression on paper so what does it matter? Heh heh! With its simulated depth of field, and other cool effects I like using it more and more. There is even a new bag of tricks with the recent upgrade I can't wait to get my hands on. It can be a bit time consuming. You can start building and populating sets and really go overboard if you don't restrain yourself. Realistic is one thing, and just getting a decent vision of your project is another.