Frameforge vs Storyboard Quick/Artist at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Frameforge vs Storyboard Quick/Artist

Anyone here use or tried these software? Any opinions as to which is better and why? I'm thinking of buying one but not sure which to get (if at all) because Storyboard Quick/Artist doesn't seem to have a usable demo.
Hayzen Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Major Player

I've used frameforge and I like it. I found it very easy to use. The storyboards can be exported in many formats, even a little quicktime animatic to show to others. I haven't used the other program you mention.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Trustee

it depends on what your strengths are and what you require for production. Frameforge gets you into practical details and shot flow - in 3D - in a very intuitive and easy way (but is a drain on system resources). Storyboard Artist is only for storyboarding.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Major Player

FF is a great program and would definately recommend it. Sorry I have not used the other one so I cannnot compare the two. That said, Frame Forge will allow you to set up an imager size in preferences, i.e. 35mm, 16mm, 2/3", etc. When coupled with 'real world' distances you can use in setting up your storyboard scenes, this allows you to get an idea of the focal lengths and camera placement needed to get your shot framed the way you want. You can also use FF for multiple camera placement with multiple views. It will also give you an overhead view-the 'blueprint' view- that you can use on site to tell your crew where to set stuff up.

The downside to FF is a loss of artistic expression. If you are an artist, hand drawn storyboards can convey mood and inform production design in a way that FF doesn't. Though you can 'rountrip' a frame from FF to your favorite image editor like Photoshop, touch it up and re-import back into FF.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

FrameForge works well especially if your artistic skills do not include pen and paper. I can't even draw decent stick figures. But as the other fellow pointed out you don't have much artistic expression using it. Then again I don't have any artistic expression on paper so what does it matter? Heh heh! With its simulated depth of field, and other cool effects I like using it more and more. There is even a new bag of tricks with the recent upgrade I can't wait to get my hands on. It can be a bit time consuming. You can start building and populating sets and really go overboard if you don't restrain yourself. Realistic is one thing, and just getting a decent vision of your project is another.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production