15-20 Minute Short Film - Counting the Cost... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Major Player

15-20 Minute Short Film - Counting the Cost...

Hey Everyone,
I am working on a short film, going to be about 15-20 minutes long. I ve made other short films (5-10 minutes) on private property, friends as actors, etc.

For this film, I would really like to make it amazing.

I ve been working on finding out everything I need to know to get ahead and here is where I am at.
Ideas or suggestions from experienced people would be great.

GEAR:
I am using pro tripods, glidecam, EX1r, thinking about getting the cannon D5 and a dolly.
I have good post production and audio equipment. I am more concerned with pre production and production right now.

INSURANCE
Looks like our city makes us pay for workers comp insurance so it totals around $3000 with the $150 per day permits.

SCRIPT:
Actually still finalizing it. Incredible cool story.

PEOPLE INVOLVED:
I have a few friends for some parts, but I really need more people. I am slightly unsure about getting people I don't know to help (no pay) but open to trying new things. Just had an audition and it went well.

WORKING WITH CITY/COUNTY FOR PERMITS etc
This is really new to me....so far things have been OK, but one of the film commissioners seems to not be that helpful or into it. Not sure why. Maybe busy. Basically said to send the permit application in before the film date (but not 3 months before film date)

CAR RENTAL
I would like to get a car rental for one of the scenes, but I am slightly worried about renting a car and then if we need more then one day not being able to get it again (again thousands into this, so we can't just change the shoot day once we are going).

There you have it. Biggest project yet. Advice from experienced people would be great. Will be sending it to Sundance and other film fests (and winning awards like crazy if I know anything about it).
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Actors always need good footage for their reel. And if they are real actors, they're thrilled to get to shoot anything - particularly if there is something fun for them to do. The more experience they have, the more likely they are to not fret about the fact that you aren't paying them. I only know a handful of good actors who draw a bright line against working for free. I know a lot of lousy actors dead set on being a celebrity that do.

Look at it this way - the vast majority of theatrical productions take up far more of an actor's time - four weeks of rehearsal and then a six week run - than most film projects. And an Equity 99 Seat Theatre contract pays actors a stipend of $5 a day. No food. No copy. $5 a day.

People, especially crew, without a lot of experience love getting IMDb credits - even if they're not getting paid. If you register at WithoutaBox, and submit your film to festivals through their site, you'll automatically get listed on the IMDb. So, that's something else you can offer.

You can't really crew up a film with unpaid workers, but you can supplement in key places, and get through it all.

On edit:

Car rentals - go online. You can save a huge amount of money, especially if you shoot on the weekend, if you rent online. We just rented a small car for four days for $57 total.

Last edited by Lori Starfelt; June 21st, 2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: forgot something
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production