How can I achieve this editing technique? at

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 113
How can I achieve this editing technique?

I'm interested in doing colorful flashes just like in this video.....I edit with Final Cut Pro 6.....Is there a specific workflow or is this technique done in aftereffects or something similar? Or is it a plugin?

Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Monument, CO
Posts: 109
I believe he describes how he did it in the comments listed below the video. Someone else had a similar question. That being said, you could do it in After Effects as well. Studying Andrew Kramer and a few other sources helped me get my head around AE to the point where I now try to dissect things I see on TV or in the movies to figure out how I might approach the effect. But you need to get familiar with all the tools before that starts to happen. I am not a guru on AE by any means but I have a much better understanding of the product than I did a year ago thanks to Andrew and others.

So, start by thinking through what is going on with the effect. You see flashes, where do they start and end and how do they transform in shape, color, contrast, luminosity etc? Do they interact with other layers or act independent of them? Creating a light source in AE is pretty simple but it's all these other aspects that you have to look at to determine what to shoot for. I know that wasn't probably what you were looking for but it's the thought process one might typically use to reverse engineer something like this. If you're new to AE you'll probably need to get more familiar with the tools before you can figure out which ones to grab for to build these. From what I see, most of those flashes start with a light source just outside of the frame and many of them look like simple lense flares of various colors probably keyed to an artificial light source. The flashing effect can come from keyframing the opacity of the light layer. That's where I would start anyway....
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sauk Rapids, MN, USA
Posts: 1,675
They look to me like a additive fade between the original shot, a third piece of footage like a film stock end or something pushed with CC to the colors you want, then to the outgoing shot. You can also probably achieve this by butting your in and out going footage on track 1, then putting the second clip on track 2, set the composite mode to something that looks like the middle transition frame, then ramp the opacity from 0 to where you want it to top out (perhaps 100), then down again using the "Rubber Bands".
Web Youtube Facebook
Cole McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Major Player
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 830
I think it's a lens blur effect. I recall seeing it in a tutorial, but not sure exactly how it's done. I think it was very easy though. Maybe create a mask layer, but I think it was simpler than that. Just an effect you drag over into the timeline in AE. If I come across it, I'll post it.

EDIT: Found it. Or at least what I was thinking of. In After Effects goto Effect > Generate > Lens Flare. You can then grab it & drag it to wherever on the screen you'd like. You'll likely want to make keyframes and adjust the Brightness in order to increase or decrease the size. (Small, Big, Small).

Probably need to create & put these onto an Adjustment Layer but overall looks fairly simple. I think this should give you the look your going for.

Last edited by David Barnett; August 17th, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,554
It totally looks like Red Giant's 'Shine' plugin which can be used within FCP. All the light effects look like the ones did in a Red Giant/FCP class I am taking at fxphd.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 113
Thanks guys for the input....I will be certainly looking into to achieving this effect..Thanks again
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Major Player
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 212
artbeats stock footages

this is stock footage on top of a video, change opacity (lower)
and you're good to go.

However, you have to buy these stock footages.
If you dont want to buy, then AE advise earlier is the way to do it
Bay Area Wedding
Sigmund Reboquio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network