special effects/flashing colorful lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 18th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

special effects/flashing colorful lights

where can i download or what software is use for special effects with fast colorful lights flashing? here's a sample:
00:25
Erwin Layaoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Major Player

ProDAD vitascene may have something if you are looking for a plugin.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Some of those flashes look like little glitches that occur in poorly maintained film cameras. You can simulate these kinds of flashes in video with programs like After Effects. There are also plugins such as Red Giant's Misfire or Magic Bullet Looks that you can use to achieve similar effects. There's another plugin for After Effects by VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals called "Twitch" that can do similar things too. Also check out a company called Digieffects. They make After Effects plugins too, and I'm sure they have something to look at too. Not sure what your budget is, but if you already have After Effects, you can expect to pay something like $100-$250 for one of these things.

You could also paint up a couple frames in Photoshop and composite them into your timeline if you don't have After Effects. It's more time consuming, and the result probably won't be as grand as a plugin, but the option is there if you need it.
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would have to agree that video co-pilot's twitch may be the way to go. After watching the video I tried to recreate a similar effect for a video I'm working on. Using twitch's color function and tweaking it to an almost washed out sepia tone did the trick. Along with a heavily blurred optical flare for the physical looking glitches you see in the video.
Dan Frantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production