DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   24p for a commercial broadcast? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/49127-24p-commercial-broadcast.html)

Chris Simone August 10th, 2005 11:48 AM

24p for a commercial broadcast?

i'm going to be shooting a commercial for the place i work, but i don't know a lot about the technical side of broadcast. i've been doing a lot of reserch and my biggest question is can i shoot the commercial in 24p? i know the pull down allows you to watch 24p on a 60i TV, but the camera also switches to non drop frame timecode which i could see as a problem in editing.
i notice a diffrence in the look of the image when i change from 60i to 24p in the camera but are there any advantages/disadvantages to shooting in 24p for broadcast other than purely artistic ones?
i'll be shooting with a DVX100, editing with FCP, and probably having a local place dub my final copy from miniDV into betaSP for broadcast distribution (it's going to several diffrent stations). Any words of wisdom on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 10th, 2005 12:14 PM

Nope I don't think that should be a problem.
If you want to get a filmic look - use it.
Unless maybe the network station or who ever you have to shoot it for demands something else, but it's an artistic choice.

Greg Boston August 10th, 2005 12:17 PM

I think FCP will handle the non-drop frame ok. In fact, go to a/v settings in the main menu and look at DV Device Contol options. One of the three settings for DV-NTSC over firewire is NDF.

As for shooting 24p. I think a lot of high end commercials are still being shot with film and telecined for tv distribution. So, in that respect, I don't think your work would look out of place. Also, running 24p at the standard shutter rate of 1/48 will give a little help in low light areas due to the slower 24hz scan rate of the ccd's and the slower shutter speed. Of course this will induce more motion blur, but that is one of the things that differentiates film from video.

good luck,

-gb-

Stephen L. Noe August 12th, 2005 01:18 PM

Any particular reason you will not use 30P? Why go through all the trouble?

Chris Simone August 16th, 2005 05:13 PM

i went ahead and shot it 24p and it looks great. i had a little trouble editing to tape with FCP but i figured out that if i left everything set at NTSC 48Khz it worked just fine (rather than messing with some of the 24p formats avalible it FCP). if you're in the ohio wide open west cable market, take a look for it and tell me what you think. it's the one for billiards plus. i hope to have it up on our website within the week if anyone wants to check it out there www.billiards-plus.com.
thanks to everyone, it was a great help.

-chris