Pal > Ntsc? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 26th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #16
Trustee

Does a progressive camera have any filtering at all or does it give you the full resolution? For example would the JVC HD100 actually give you the full 720 lines of resolution or due to many factors could it be something like 710 or 700?
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #17
Major Player

Thomas,

Since the JVC HD100 has yet to be released, any comments on what it does or does not do would be pure speculation.

Based on my experience with other HD cameras, I suspect that the JVC will be filtered. And will likely have the option of enabling the full vertical resolution or leaving the image filtered, available in the menu system.

Both the 27F Varicam and F900 Cine-Alta are filtered with the option to enable full vertical resolution in the menus.
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #18
Major Player

Great info, guys.

What is the vertical rez for a PAL DVX100A in Progressive mode??
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I checked out that atlantis software. Works well, only problem is the price.

I'd buy it if I owned a PAL camera, but I'm only borrowing one. Anyone know of anything cheaper?
Mike Toledano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #20
Major Player

PAL Progressive is 576 lines of vertical resolution.
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks, Jon. So I guess for the ultra low budget filmmaker if they want best possible resolution for a film blowup (assuming their movie gets picked up) a DVX100A (or XL-2, etc.) PAL cam would be superior to an NTSC model.

However, looks like the HVX200 is going to change that. :)

I did find this interesting bit under "Will PAL Video help in the Video to Film Process?" on this page: http://www.vtpcorp.com/htm/vidfilm.htm

(It's talking about PAL interlaced) "PAL also increases the vertical resolution of the image since there are more scan lines used, although it has been said that for many reasons, progressive scan has a potentially bigger impact on the perception of spatial resolution, followed by horizontal resolution, and then vertical resolution."
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production