Alternatives to tricaster? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 5th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Alternatives to tricaster?

I don't know where else to throw this, so Ill put it here right now...

My friend has some principle, and I am doing the research for setting up some sort of mobile production platform for streaming live events. We already know what we are going to do with it, and it will involve streaming in SD, but we will want to record a master in HD. 3-4 cams to start, with more in the long run.

So, what I want to know is... are there any DIY, build yourself solutions on windows (most likely) for creating a portable production platform? I have used and set up an XD850 tricaster for a bunch of network stuff and am looking for something under the 25k price tag that newtek wants for the platform.

Do people even make PCI cards that have something like triax or standard BNC input with a USB switcher, replay controller, etc and does anyone know any articles that actually go through the hardware they used in building a mobile production platform? I saw one of the streaming articles on the frontpage and it kind of spiked my interest a bit further.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Alternatives to tricaster?

VidBlaster - Video Production at Your Fingertips! - VidBlaster - Video Production at Your Fingertips!

there is a trial that is full functioning but adds a watermark. this will allow you to test before purchase.

go the support forum and download the latest beta:

VidBlaster v1.33 beta - Collapsible Modules - VidBlaster

the beta is also trial and has new features not yet offered in the official release.

osprey has some ntsc input cards

blackmagic has input/output cards, the new card looks very promising for vidblaster systems:

Blackmagic Design: DeckLink Quad
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I built my own system using a TVOne as a switcher - they have several models that will do, currently using one that has 8 HD-SDI inputs. So now I have either HD-SDI inputs or could even go with SD cameras.

Currently, I use a NanoFlash to record to. It has SDI inputs. Have a laptop to do video streaming.

I had a TriCaster 300 for a couple of months. It was just not reliable, had crashes and bugs. I could not live with losing a program (it happened) so I was lucky and able to send it back.

Good luck, James
James Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Major Player

XD300 is a waste, I've used it too. The XD850 though is a much different animal and I actually enjoy using it - we also use the proper switcher (not the LC-11) and its pretty versatile.

Those links are exactly what Ive been looking for - If it installs on a windows platform then this will help me out a good bit.

What am I looking at in terms of switcher compatibility? Will that package detect most switchers or are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of?

A nice quad core (or however many they have now, I haven't built a computer in forever) with 8 gigs should be able to handle it I'm assuming?
Old May 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

i got a pc with 3 blackmagic intensity pro.
the pc is a cheap one made from refurbished part, so nothing stellar.
Core 2 duo at 3Ghz with 4gig of ram and win7 sp1, cheap nvidia GT220.
it runs VMIX 2010 , a nice and inexpensive software allowing mixing video, pictures, desktop capture, overlay in SD or HD, capture to disk and streaming.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Im thinking something in the range of:

i7 2600k
8GB (probably 2x4gb)
1.5-2 TB
And some video card that has dual DVI or HDMI and supports mercury playback

I really gotta call up vidblaster and get info about the requirements for their software because they don't specify any of that at all, but Im sure this can handle it.
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Major Player

for vidblaster all info is found in the forum discussions and/or help file.

do a forum search for system requirements and run the trial release to confirm it works on your pc.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Will do - I did a quick skim and couldn't find anything. Ill actually start using the search feature a little... I think that this board will handle enough expandability running some of the Blackmagic cards, Ill be using BNC or triax maybe if I can afford it.

Newegg.com - MSI Big Bang-Marshal (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 (B3) & Lucid LT22102 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard

I am going to install the vidblaster software on an older box I have and run it to see if I like it. I think it will be fine switching with a keyboard if the TD sets up their own shortcuts. Don't know the software, but I have no problems learning a new platform.

*edit* Further question, since I haven't installed it yet: does this program (vidblaster) allow SDI embed for audio?

Last edited by Justin Molush; May 8th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Major Player

SDI or HD_SDI are VERY different beasts than Tri-AX, entirely different kit. if youre balking at 25k for switcher then you dont have the pockets for a tri-ax system.

for example Belden 1505 RG59 digital cost aproxx $0.55 per foot where Triax is abot $3 per foot, BNC connector for for 1505 about $2 each, a triax connector about $80 to $120 each, not to mention the CCUs and Cams are considerably higher in cost.

not to sound mean.

but the black magic cards and that software look like your answer.

Good luck
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Anyone looking at vidblaster should also evaluate Telestream Wirecast, a competing software solution.
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Yeah, since posting this I have settled on using BNC for transmit.

We ended up getting both a Black magic studio and a decklink quad for a variety of reasons. Going to start switching with the keyboard, but are looking at a legit switcher down the road. The first season of web broadcast are going to be a trial basis and we are not looking to go THAT much in the red with this project just yet until we have significant sponsors. Verbal commitments dont pay the bills haha
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
I don't know where else to throw this, so Ill put it here right now...

My friend has some principle, and I am doing the research for setting up some sort of mobile production platform for streaming live events. We already know what we are going to do with it, and it will involve streaming in SD, but we will want to record a master in HD. 3-4 cams to start, with more in the long run.

So, what I want to know is... are there any DIY, build yourself solutions on windows (most likely) for creating a portable production platform? I have used and set up an XD850 tricaster for a bunch of network stuff and am looking for something under the 25k price tag that newtek wants for the platform.

Do people even make PCI cards that have something like triax or standard BNC input with a USB switcher, replay controller, etc and does anyone know any articles that actually go through the hardware they used in building a mobile production platform? I saw one of the streaming articles on the frontpage and it kind of spiked my interest a bit further.
I think you need atem a new product line from blackmagic starts from $950. connects bnc,sdi,hdmi check them out. This said

I currently use avtake.com works great and is stable. Vid blaster is good but i think that (if you want hd) is over priced.
Ric Marrty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production