CHV "Film" Filter for FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 20th, 2002, 05:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CHV "Film" Filter for FCP?

Does anyone have any experience with the FCP "Film" filter from CHV?

http://www.chv-plugins.com/film.html

Mic
Michael Westphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nope but..

I have used the CGM film plugin and it's pretty cool.
http://www.cgm-online.com
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:57 PM   #3
Warden

It depends on the look your after. The CGM filters make video look like old, damaged, dirty etc. film. But it's not really a pristine film look. If your trying to change the way video looks (motion, smoothness, less video) try Magic Bullet. a free demo is available http://www.theorphanage.com/ from The Orphanage. While there, check out some of their demo clips with MB. Very impressive.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 03:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I want old

Thanks Jeff and Mark. I do want old. The CHV filter looks like EXACTLY what I want. I just haven't ever heard of the company or the product. Just trying to see if anyone here had used the product before I bought it.

Thanks,
Michael
Old December 13th, 2002, 12:26 AM   #5
gateway1

This is a filter right? Whats the difference in adding this effect in post?
Old December 13th, 2002, 03:09 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Michael,

Go to my web site and click on the "Sursum who?" link in the right side menu. The short logo movie that will load was made using the CHV film filter.

For the price, you can't beat it.

http://sursumfilms.com
Old December 17th, 2002, 11:29 PM   #7
Major Player

John,
That's a cool clip.. does the filter provide the old projecter sound as well or is that your own doing?
Old December 17th, 2002, 11:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks

John, Thanks a lot. The clip and your comment show what I need to know. I've played around with the freebie CGM and it's ok. The CHV filter looks like more of what I want. Also enjoyed your site.
Now, I just have to get the gig. First it was taken from me who said they could do it, but couldn't, then the client came back to me, now they've postponed the project till 2003...

Michael
Old December 18th, 2002, 12:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

CHV

so where can we get it now that we know it's cool :)
Mark
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:39 AM   #10

Alex,

The projector sound came from my old standby, FindSounds.com...so it's a freebie.

MichaelA,

So you get 'em right where you want 'em, eh? That's good. You've got me curious about "the gig" that the guy who stole it couldn't do.

Mark,

As a last step, I run every clip through a coolometer filter. Has hellacious render times, but gets guaranteed results. You can find the CHV plug in at http://www.chv-plugins.com/film.html.
Old December 18th, 2002, 05:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

OT: competition

John,
The local cable company underbid my group by an outrageous amount, but they would only shoot during the week and the client only wants to shoot on the weekend. We do weekends. ;-)
(The cable company owns the channel that the commercial will run on, so they want to shut out anyone else; and do it by lowballing... )

Michael
Old December 19th, 2002, 10:33 AM   #12
Major Player

a little out of topic but---

John: in your short SHADOW, what did you shoot it with and did you just show up into the subways and start shooting or what??

Did you take any lights or extra equipment with you?

thx
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2002, 05:15 PM   #13

Kevin,

Shadow was shot with an XL-1 using the 3X lens most of the time, but sometimes the 16X. For some of the scenes, I used an on-camera Frezzi mini-fill light (I'd have used it throughout...but the battery drains too quickly). Some of the sound was recorded wild after filming with a Sony MiniDisc recorder. It was mainly just me with the camera and the two actors, and we had a couple of "lookouts" to keep an eye out for authorities and to help, if needed.

It was made in Korea, which doesn't much care for foreigners in the first place, much less foreigners with cameras...so I knew that getting a permit would be virtually impossible. So we decided to shoot it run and gun style...and actually did have a couple of run ins with guys in uniforms. Because of that, though, we had to shoot it fast. There was less than 40 minutes of tape used.

Working in crowded areas there was great. People usually didn't look directly at the camera, and they didn't seem to mind. There's one scene that shows the train platform completely empty. We knew that was going to be impossible since it was always full. I was ready to give up on that shot when the Korean actor simply yelled out for everyone to go hide behind the pillars and stairwells...and they did!

Just for the record...I wouldn't shoot that way in most places in the world. I'd get a permit...since most other major cities are set up to do that. In Seoul, though, we had no choice really.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production