music video, slow motion but still in sync? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 20th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Major Player

music video, slow motion but still in sync?

So I saw this thing a while back where, if you want the band to be in slow motion, but still be in sync with the music/audio. you do the following "below". but It went out of sync still.. So I might not have done it right.
So what could I have done wrong? Shouldn't it have stayed in sync for the Whole Song?

make a version of the song that is double speed. for example a 4 min song make it 2 mins

the band then plays the song at double speed. while you shoot 48fps instead of 24

when you bring it into editing, you have slow motion effect, but everything is still in sync.

I tried this using 24 frame rate for a music video, then shot the band overcranking the video to 48fps with a sony ex1, and the band playing double speed. It stayed in sync for part of it but then went out of sync.

So what could I have done wrong? Shouldn't it have stayed in sync for the Whole Song?

here is a link to video, the part where I did this effect is at 2:46 its in a field.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: music video, slow motion but still in sync?

Does your editor perhaps have seperate project settings for 23.976fps and 24fps and it's not all that obvious which one is which?
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Trustee

it's not a slow song, lipsync it at double speed not easy, was the girl right on the spot ?
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I overcranked like this in 2 music videos for my mate and Im pretty happy with it. most of the video was overcranked and hes a classical guitarist and still I couldnt notice him not hiting notes...

Darragh O'Neill - Leon - YouTube - the water behind him is in slowmo

Darragh O'Neill - Clouds - YouTube - the street scenes, the cars iare in slowmo behind him.
Brian Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Major Player

I shot this one at 60fps. Problem was the song was too fast to speed it up too much, so I was only able to get about 72% slomo. It synchs though. Just not quite slow enough.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production