DIY telecine 16mm films at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 7th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Major Player

DIY telecine 16mm films

I have some old 16mm films that I need to digitize (for cheap) for a documentary project. I was able to source a 16mm projector, and have tried to shoot the film as front-projected off of a portable screen. I'm facing sync issues with both cameras I tried, my Canon 5D Mark III and a Canon XH-A1. The 5D3 has scan line issues (slow, top to bottom lines crawl) that exist at all shutter speeds and framerates (24, 30, and 60). The XH-A1 exhibits a strobing phenomenon that goes lighter to darker repeatedly, every few seconds. And that camera's ClearScan feature does not go below 59 Hz, unfortunately.

I realize that these issues crop up because the film is projected at 24 frames per second (or something close to that) and my cameras can't sync up to the exact shutter speed of the projector.

Is a full-blown lab telecine scan my only option here (at upwards of $0.60/foot), or has anyone tried something else that works reasonably well?
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DIY telecine 16mm films

That price sounds a bit high, you could check out a few places for quotes. You can often strike a deal.

Here's one lab that I've heard recommended:

CineLab 16mm film processing and video transfer services
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production