DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Minimum Crew, Practically... and JVC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/511665-minimum-crew-practically-jvc.html)

Roy Sallows October 24th, 2012 06:36 PM

Minimum Crew, Practically... and JVC

Brief update - medically out of circulation for quite a while, back now. Feel great.
I would like to solicit opinions (I have my own) regarding minimum crew that the pros here would approach shooting a digital feature (the first of a potential series) with... said features being character / dialogue driven, with no CGI, no car wrecks, explosions, etc.
Second, I would love to be able to use my JVC GY500. My concern is that it wouldn't be competitive with the new digital supercamcorders. Comments?

Henry Kenyon October 25th, 2012 09:26 AM

Re: Minimum Crew, Practically... and JVC

JVC GY500

A question I've had for a while. The res on the camera is greater than the recorded format. How would the picture quality be if you were to go from camera to an HD capture device instead of recording to tape?

As far as size of crew goes, if each member is skilled in many aspects, ie. audio, lighting, camera control, a smaller number can do the job.

Roy Sallows October 25th, 2012 09:56 AM

Yeah, Henry, I've been thinking from Jon Jost to typical 90-odd high-end indie crew. As I said, I have my own view, but I want to get feedback from the members of the forum... how many crew, what specialties, who doubles up. As regards my beloved GY500D, I have seen some lethally killer footage come from the supercams, and, while the JVC is enormous in the low-light environment that I love, i question whether, overall, it's footage can compete with the digitals.

Paul R Johnson October 25th, 2012 11:23 AM

Have no qualms about using the camera. The biggest drawback is the 4:3 aspect ratio. I can now produce video in SD and HD at 720 and 1080 and my 500 and 5000 JVCs still hold their own. If you can get the material into the editor, in digital using the firewire, you'll not have a problem going to DVD. The images look good and can be tweaked in the menus to have more 'substance'.

I've completed two projects recently with combined footage and on the DVD, it's really impossible to see which source is which.

Output is DV, so little point recording that to an HD device, it won't be any better.

To go to DVD, I'd not worry. If people need HD video files for the master, then there is of course a difference, but the JVCs start pretty high in the quality stakes because of the good glass on the front!

Roy Sallows October 25th, 2012 02:37 PM

Paul, thank you. This is exactly what I was hoping for - someone who has walked that mile, and lived to tell about it. I've had the 500 as the center of a dream for many years, and I truly want to use it all the way up, until there's nothing left but a lens cap and a memory.

Paul R Johnson October 25th, 2012 03:31 PM

The workable compromise I have at the moment means that I'm editing in 720 projects, with Premiere, and scaling up the SD material, and scaling down the 1080. It does seem to work quite well for me. Although it's on it's last legs, the handicam size DV JVC I have still works a bit, and comparing the images from it with that from the big 500/5000s is quite interesting. You really can see the difference.

Roy Sallows October 25th, 2012 07:22 PM

Thanks, Paul. Other people's experience is always appreciated. Any other comments or guidance will be as greatly appreciated as what you've already given me.