How to promote yourself to corporate clients? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 12th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to promote yourself to corporate clients?

So basically, here's my deal. I work a 9-5 as a digital creative in the marketing department of a Fortune 100 company. I do basically anything coming through our doors that involves digital design, and my most notable work has been multimedia production. I basically learned most of what I know on my job here over the past few years.

I also started shooting and editing wedding videos on the side and have recently registered an LLC to do business under, and would like to expand my offerings a little bit. I have zero intentions of leaving my day job, so I would only like to take on work that I can handle mostly at home, nights and weekends. Obviously this makes it pretty much impossible to build up any sort of corporate video-capture business, so I'd like to focus on editing, motion graphics, and sound. The thing is, I don't have any material that I can really show in a demo reel because everything I've done as been for my employer; much of it being internal material, or material not approved for public consumption. I can't pass it off as my own, because it's the property of the company.

So, how have some of you gotten started doing side work in editing and motion with no demo reel to start? I'd be happy with just some basic editing of clips.
Max Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to promote yourself to corporate clients?

I would just start by making a promo video for your company. Using titles, motion graphics, listing things your company do etc. Maybe incorporate video footage of weddings and any other clips you might have, even using exterior clip of venues, scenery etc to make it look like you do more than weddings right now. That'd be your best bet imho.

It's hard out there though, so yeah, don't quit your day job. Basically what you are asking is small business owners to fork over a couple hundred or thousand dollars out of their pocket. I know to you and me it's an "investment" to increase their business and brand awareness, but to them it's just money spent.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'll try and think about what I can put into a demo reel, that doesn't look totally wedding-ish. Granted I do want to still promote myself for wedding work, but I don't want to look like it's all I do either.
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Your demo reel shouldn't have any weddingish things on it at all. That can be an instant turn-off to corporate clients.

You need to start networking with free-lancers in your area. Shooters sometimes need editors to sell a job. If you are a good resource for them they can bring you work. I get a reasonable amount of work from local free-lancers that shoot and don't want to edit. They know I'm not going to embarrass them nor will I try to poach their clients.
Old December 12th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I agree. If you're looking for corporate type work, keep the weddings locked away from your reel. Make a separate one for weddings if you feel the need.
After you have some sort of corporate reel, you need to talk to freelance shooters, maybe even talk to any AV companys in the area. I know a couple of them here outsource most of the editing they get from their clients simply because they don't have the human resources to do it. It doesn't pay for them to keep a full time editor on the payroll. IT might not hurt to contact some of the companys in the area either. They all do seminars and conferences some do trade shows and need the footage edited. Even if they don't at least they'll know who you are in case they need someone for future reference.
Old December 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Your demo reel shouldn't have any weddingish things on it at all. That can be an instant turn-off to corporate clients.

You need to start networking with free-lancers in your area. Shooters sometimes need editors to sell a job. If you are a good resource for them they can bring you work. I get a reasonable amount of work from local free-lancers that shoot and don't want to edit. They know I'm not going to embarrass them nor will I try to poach their clients.
Yeah- I'm currently struggling with the fact that I want to start a website and/or FB page, and I want to promote myself as a wedding shooter since I have enough material to put up a few samples. But I also don't want to make a "wedding-y" site at the same time. It's just hard to build any sort of site when you don't have enough content to fill it with.

Is there a good online resource that freelancers or production houses will post small jobs on? The stuff on Craigslist is garbage of course, and a lot of these video production sites (like this one) are full of jobs that I don't have the equipment or experience for.
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I would recommend 2 sites. One for weddings stuff and one for everything else. I know its not fair or just but it is the way it is.

Breaking into the freelance circles can be difficult. In this market you get in by knowing someone. You may be able to pick up some gigs by reaching out to any local production houses. See if there are any indie film groups in the area. That itself won't be a source of work for hire (they never have any budget, trust me I know) but you may run into people at social gatherings that would be good to know.

To sum it up you have to get out and press some flesh. Real physical networking is how you get contacts.
Old September 11th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Palmer View Post
Yeah- I'm currently struggling with the fact that I want to start a website and/or FB page, and I want to promote myself as a wedding shooter since I have enough material to put up a few samples. But I also don't want to make a "wedding-y" site at the same time. It's just hard to build any sort of site when you don't have enough content to fill it with.

Is there a good online resource that freelancers or production houses will post small jobs on? The stuff on Craigslist is garbage of course, and a lot of these video production sites (like this one) are full of jobs that I don't have the equipment or experience for.
I'm sure you have gained some sort of content by now. Have you put up a website yet?
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

hi there. I'm also trying to diversify my client base and I think a demo reel would be great...but I don't want to include anything to do with weddings etc...so what kind of shots should be included if I hope to get into corporate/web commercials/and the like...

I have done some small corporate videos,some make up commercials for websites etc...
I'm willing to shoot some additional footage with my new Canon C100 mkii to get new and better shots targeted at potential markets...what shots/genres do you think I should include? I don't want to pretend I have lots more experience than I do but I know I can do better for sure. I know it! I want to make myself more marketable- I have all the equipment I need and I sure watch online courses at Lynda.com and watch work by amazing videographers on Vimeo etc...

thanks for any tips you may have for me. thanks
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Perdomo View Post
hi there. I'm also trying to diversify my client base and I think a demo reel would be great...but I don't want to include anything to do with weddings etc...so what kind of shots should be included if I hope to get into corporate/web commercials/and the like...

I have done some small corporate videos,some make up commercials for websites etc...
I'm willing to shoot some additional footage with my new Canon C100 mkii to get new and better shots targeted at potential markets...what shots/genres do you think I should include? I don't want to pretend I have lots more experience than I do but I know I can do better for sure. I know it! I want to make myself more marketable- I have all the equipment I need and I sure watch online courses at Lynda.com and watch work by amazing videographers on Vimeo etc...

thanks for any tips you may have for me. thanks
Depend on who you want to target corporate wise. I mainly do like events, testimonials, and promo videos, so in my video production reel I focused on that aspect. In my conference video production reel I focused strictly on how I shoot a conference and included B-roll as well because I use it in my highlight videos. I think the key to a good demo reel is to show exactly what you do and don't show too much. Keep it short. The longer it is, they will lose interest. If you want to do commercials try to setup a mock commercial where you can showcase your ability. People just want to see what you can do.
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks Leon! I will think carefully about what market i want to reach and decide what shots I need for a 60 sec reel. I already have footage for it but a few more specific shots are needed. I won't claim to be a cinematographer but rather a video producer with some cinematic style!
E
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #12
Trustee

Max - I sent you an e-mail. Send me some MoGraph examples. I'm looking for a contract guy from time to time.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Perdomo View Post
thanks Leon! I will think carefully about what market i want to reach and decide what shots I need for a 60 sec reel. I already have footage for it but a few more specific shots are needed. I won't claim to be a cinematographer but rather a video producer with some cinematic style!
E
No problem. Good luck to you! :)
Old July 31st, 2015, 01:07 PM   #14
Inner Circle

You could do an ad for a friend, family or acquaintance who owns a small business on the cheap or free so you can get footage for your demo reel, while gaining experience and making contacts. Yelp I believe allows for promo videos.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production