DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   I finally have the question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/52357-i-finally-have-question.html)

Terry Jordan October 6th, 2005 09:10 PM

I finally have the question

I have been trying to figure out how to get the "film look" but I think my interpretation of this is different from others. BUT now I have a great example.

There was an episode of scrubs and more recently will and grace that were shot live or with a live audience.

The live version looked dramatically different from those that were prerecorded. I would assume are variables are the same minus the fact that it is live and cant be touched up.

So the difference between the 2 is what I am looking for. What do they do to the footage of the prerecorded ones to give it that tv/film look? Anybody have the answer?

Thanks in advance.

Joshua Provost October 7th, 2005 11:24 AM

The pre-recorded episodes may actually be shot on film. The live episodes would have to be shot on video, by necessity. Many episodic TV shows are shot on 35mm, or on 24p HD.

Terry Jordan October 7th, 2005 01:25 PM

I appreciate the reply.

Can anyone confirm this?

One question I have to this is in some DVD extras you have deleted scenes that dont have that film look but instead look similar to a live show.

One selling point for me would be if someone would shoot a scene with video and then with film keeping all other variables the same.

Joshua Provost October 7th, 2005 01:54 PM

A lot of those low quality extras come from film dailies that have been telecined to video, have not been color corrected, with unprocessed sound, no foley, no soundtrack, in some cases not matted to the intended aspect ratio, etc. All the little things that create the illusion in the finished product.

So, completely true, these are all things, along with lighting, that need to be done to film or video, if you are shooting for high production value. Even with all variables the same, you'll still have the three basic differences: depth of field, motion characteristics (60i vs. 24p), film emulsion vs CCD response to light unique response to light.

Glenn Chan October 13th, 2005 05:58 PM

A lot of TV series are also shot on super 16mm now. Scrubs is one of them I believe.

Sometimes shows will switch formats... i.e. they didn't get as much money for the season. So it could be that they are shooting something else now. I'm just too lazy to Google.

Matthew Overstreet October 15th, 2005 12:48 PM

<<A lot of those low quality extras come from film dailies that have been telecined to video, have not been color corrected, with unprocessed sound, no foley, no soundtrack, in some cases not matted to the intended aspect ratio, etc. All the little things that create the illusion in the finished product.>>

It could also be that they are taken from a video tap.

David Jimerson October 26th, 2005 07:16 PM

The difference you were seeing was that W&G is normally shot in 24p and the live version was shot in 60i.

It's an excellent example of the difference between the two. Didn't the live version look like a soap opera or a game show? In any case, a little more "fake"?

Whereas the 24p versions look more cinematic.

I love 24p, and you can see why . . .