DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Rehearsal strategy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/52620-rehearsal-strategy.html)

Jason Howard October 11th, 2005 08:02 PM

Rehearsal strategy

Hey guys
i'm making a feature at the moment. It's my first feature and you know, that first time feeling is making me nervous.

I have made quite a number of shorts that has won awards, but as you know feature is different than shorts.
I would like to know how do you guys go about with your rehearsal? How many rehearsal sessions do you hold before the actual shoot? What is the duration for each session?

Hope to hear some advice and tips you've learnt. And if you have a more detailed advice, it will be great too, such as the progression of rehearsal from the first one to the next, and so on. Thanks!

Reid Bailey October 12th, 2005 07:45 AM

This is really dependent upon time and availability of the actors. It's usually hard to organize schedules for extra time committed to the project.

Are you paying them? If not, I think you're best bet is to try and grab time right before the shoot.

Since you're shooting out of order trying to bring your talent together for a run through doesn't really coincide with how the scenes will be shot. If you try and take even 15 minutes before hand then you'll have just the talent on hand you need for that scene.

You really have to have a reliable AD though who will make sure that everything is set up for you and that NO ONE bothers you with catering questions etc...

Jason Howard October 12th, 2005 09:09 AM

I can arrange a time with them, it's not a problem. In fact i've conducted a few rehearsals with the cast already.

Just wanted to know how many rehearsals the rest does, to see if i overdo them etc.
Will be great if others join in the discussion.
We can share some tips etc used in rehearsals and so on. thanks for the input.

Jason Leonard October 15th, 2005 03:42 PM

i am in the midst of shooting my fisrt feature as well.
I took 3 months of pre production and rehearsed the hell out of them. i would use them on weekends, usually 4-5 hours. they got off book rally quickly and so far its going well

Michael Chen October 16th, 2005 05:25 AM

Same here too.
But after a number of rehearsals, it seems that we are only repeating the scenes over and over again till it's kind of repetitive.

Any tips or descriptions on how you guys have conducted your rehearsals?

Christian Hede Madsen October 18th, 2005 08:18 AM

I just came home from our 3rd day of shooting( 1st feature) and I only rehearsed 1 time with my actors. We met, read the script and the rest is up to me as a director on set. This is not the right way to do it, but it works well for me.