DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Crazy casting stories? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/52737-crazy-casting-stories.html)

Reid Bailey October 14th, 2005 07:23 AM

Crazy casting stories?

I just posted new casting notices and am already recieving the H&Rs.

Now, I really understand how hard it is to get a break in the entertainment world, and I'm NOT laughing at any of these people. It's more of a sympathetic chuckle, because who the hell am I, right?

But:

Is it me, or is "Cockney accent" noted by every actor on the planet? Actors, I'll just assume that you can do a cockney accent.

I once received a snapshot and resume that listed one item: Hooters waitress.

Has anyone run across the "accomplished" actors with nothing on their resume but background work? The fact that you were in the stadium when they were shooting a football movie doesn't mean you're perfect for the lead role...

A young woman (20-ish) listed all her acting experience including the elementary school production of "The Wizard of Oz (The Hebrew Version)". :-o

One guy I know was casting in his house (Bad Idea) and had a nasty drunk show up as well as women just jumping right in with showing their willingness to do nude scenes. He's looking over her resume, looks up, and the twins are getting some air...

My favorite so far is one that I recieved this morning: One the education part of the resume, they listed several books on acting which they've read.

Acting, this isn't making fun of anyone. Just some interesting things I've seen along the way.

K. Forman October 14th, 2005 07:44 AM

Man... those sound way better than my own casting experience! I spent $200 to rent a business suite with conference room, to hold the interviews in. After recieving literally hundreds of emails begging- BEGGING- to do a reading, I had 12 people show up. Far less than the 40 positions I needed to fill. Unfortunately, some of those that showed were quite good. It's a shame I never got to use them.

Marco Leavitt October 14th, 2005 07:48 AM

Yeah, I'd say turnout always at least 25 percent of the number of people who say they will come.

Josh Caldwell November 27th, 2005 05:30 PM

I was recently doing casting for several beer spec commercials I was shooting. I put a casting notice looking for Beautiful, Attractive Women, mid 20s, if you think you can be in Maxim, etc." Very specific.

You should see some of the women I got. Eeeesh. I don't mean to be mean but I mean, clearly some people are not eligible for Maxim. It just showed me how desperate some people are for roles. (I'm in NY, so of course.)

I got nearly 400 responses and there were probably 12 women I decided to meet with, and of those, about 4 worked after seeing them in person.

The other thing I noticed was the type of photographs I got. Everything from your traditional headshots, to the digital cameras where it looks like the subject is holding the camera.

I have to say, those went automatically in the trash bin. I feel that if you're unable or unwilling to properly promote yourself then how great is your talent really gonna be.

However, I have never had nothing but great experiences with the actors and actresses I do end up choosing. I like to think I'm great at casting not only people right for the roles but also people I can easily work with.

Joe Carney December 7th, 2005 02:52 PM

>>One guy I know was casting in his house (Bad Idea) and had a nasty drunk show up as well as women just jumping right in with showing their willingness to do nude scenes. He's looking over her resume, looks up, and the twins are getting some air...

<<
Reid, did you happen to get her name? I'm sure you could justify a new casting call somehow couldn't you? Huh? I'd be more than willing to volunteer my services. really. hehehe

Give me a call some time, would like to work with you again.

K. Forman December 7th, 2005 07:36 PM

Bastages... Some folk have all the luck!

Reid Bailey December 8th, 2005 02:16 PM

Hey Joe,

Was actually looking for your addy a little while back but all I had was your old work addy.

And sorry guys, no contact info for the oh-so-willing actress :-o

K. Forman December 8th, 2005 02:26 PM

I repeat... Bastages!

Joe Carney December 8th, 2005 04:47 PM

Reid, just email me, I'll update you with new number, address, what ever. I live in Fairfax now and work down at Ft Belvoir for the time being.