Obtaining News Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Obtaining News Footage

How might I as an independent documentary producer go about obtaining highly relevant news footage from local network affiliates?
Sam Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Shore
How might I as an independent documentary producer go about obtaining highly relevant news footage from local network affiliates?
Have you tried calling up the news director of the station that shot the footage?
Old November 5th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Right... That would be the way to go I'm sure. I guess what I really meant to ask is whether anyone could share their experience of getting news footage. I'm trying to get a handle on the best way to approach my goal. What would be in it for the station? A fee or simply acknowledgement in the credits? I'd like to have a little background information in hand before I make the inquiry.
Old November 6th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Bargain--they may give it to you for free. As a former TV news station creative services writer/producer and a news editor, we had someone else usually do it for us. And it was all VHS. Ask if they can give it to you on mini-dv, DVCPro, DVCam or BetaSP. And have the station do it from their library. Be careful, though, they recycle shooters' tapes like crazy and I used to always see tons of drop out. And the decks are used all the time, at least two to four, 24 hours a day.

heath
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Good news... sounds promising. What is in it for the station? Good p.r.? Getting more mileage out of their stuff?

Thanks for the ideas and good assistance Heath.
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #6
Major Player

CNN has a specific division for this:

http://www.cnnimagesource.com/CNIS/index.html
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link Bob... great info...

I am so low budget, I'd be worried about CNN's fees. But maybe an angel will come through and help fund my project soon.

It's funny that you're both from Florida, Heath and Bob, because in fact, one of the stations I want to try to work with is Channel 12 in West Palm Beach. I'm in central Louisiana making an independent documentary about a hurricane-related story that involves a Canadian billionaire who temporarily housed some New Orleans evacuees at his thoroughbred training facility in Boynton Beach. Maybe you heard about it.
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I think so--there's a new racing facility I passed by on my way to the airport today. I used to work at WPTV, the NBC affiliate, for five years.

heath
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Florida is a big state. Miami to Pensacola is about 1o hours by car, or 15 by airplane. Heath and I are pretty close to each other for Florida, but still 3+ hours apart. He is closer to Boynton, I am on West Coast and further north (near Tampa). [end florida geography lesson] :)
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Venice is nice, which I know this is off topic. Boynton is about 20 miles from me. I used to live there.

My advice, getting back on topic, is to call the TV station, get permission and ask for a DV or beta sp version, otherwise you'll end up with bad VHS, more than likely.

heath
Old November 11th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Muchas gracias amigos. I will pursue that route.

[BTW, I was in Boynton Beach, Palm Beach just a few days before Wilma. Lovely area. I hope it wasn't ravaged by the storm. Royal Palm Boulevard was a thrill. Judging from the height of those beauties, those trees have endured years of high winds. I hope they withstood.]
Old November 11th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Sam,

I haven't driven through Boynton, but pretty much Miami up to Port St. Lucie got nailed. It was rough. School was out for the most part in Broward and Palm Beach counties for 2 weeks. A lot of people are still without power.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production