DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Proper way to find a distributor. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/54417-proper-way-find-distributor.html)

Kevin Red November 15th, 2005 08:09 AM

Proper way to find a distributor.

I've made a couple short films and was wondering what is best the way to try to get one distributed. Sending out a preview? Or the whole movie? Any advice?

Lloyd Choi November 15th, 2005 06:24 PM

Short films don't get distributed to my knowledge...

I may be wrong, but the point for distribution is to make a profit... and features are the main attraction nowadays.

Best way to get an audience is to submit to festivals and post it on the internet!

Kevin Red November 15th, 2005 08:37 PM

I've seen shorts in collections that are distributed. I'm planning on making a feature sooner or later. Im just kind of curious how someone goes about finding a distributor.

Dennis Khaye November 16th, 2005 12:14 AM

Internet sites like atom films dot com isn't it? Either that or contests but they usually want something fresh for the competition. I could be wrong but I think those shorts that get picked up for a compilation distro get picked up from someplace really cool. If we only knew from where. (insert suspense music here)

Richard Alvarez November 16th, 2005 08:55 AM

http://www.microcinema.com/

They'll look at your stuff.

Guest November 16th, 2005 09:17 AM

Getting in your shorts

Try IndieFlix.com.

They take shorts and features. And I know they sell them, because I just got my first monthly check from them yesterday.

Break a leg.

Heath McKnight November 16th, 2005 09:26 PM

www.theshotlist.com looks interesting.

Best thing to do is be in a few film festivals and maybe one of them will go on to being part of a collection.

heath

Colvin Eccleston November 18th, 2005 03:46 AM

I have started a site where people can download video for mobiles. If you are interested I will send you details.

Nicholas Foster November 25th, 2005 10:28 PM

Quote:

Try IndieFlix.com

They take shorts and features. And I know they sell them, because I just got my first monthly check from them yesterday.

What did you submit and how much did they pay you if you don't mind my asking?

Guest November 26th, 2005 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Foster
Charles, what did you submit and how much did they pay you if you don't mind my asking?

I submitted a feature ("Get Goosed"). They pay 1/3 of their retail price, which is $9.95. My film has been selling pretty decently... nothing to write home and get all excited about, but decently.

Heath McKnight November 26th, 2005 10:23 AM

I just signed up and am excited. The price is better than CustomFlix, though I really like CustomFlix, especially now that Amazon.com owns them.

heath

Jason J. Gullickson December 7th, 2005 10:37 AM

Quote:

Try IndieFlix.com.
I noticed they are still "beta". Did they explain this at all when you signed up with them?

Guest December 7th, 2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason J. Gullickson
Charles, I noticed they are still "beta". Did they explain this at all when you signed up with them?

They didn't explain it, but I saw it on their site, so I knew.

I resisted the idea of signing on when they first pitched it last summer. They wanted exclusive rights for a year, domestic and overseas. They finally realized no one with any cerebral folds was going to do that, and they dropped the requirement. They also grant producers a 30-day "opt out" now.

I don't know how this will work, but I'm willing to give them a chance just because I like their creativity.. people who whine and snivel instead of coming up with workable solutions, they aren't. I like them.

I've had a steady trickle of sales, by the way. Not what I'd like to see, but much better than nothing.

Jason J. Gullickson December 7th, 2005 02:14 PM

Yes, I definately like their agreements and the way they are doing things. I still need to do some homework but it looks like it might be a good choice for a project that we're wrapping up and I'm still not sure the right "channel" for.

I was getting excited but then I saw the "beta" and panicked a little, but your explanation makes sense.

One other question I have, it says "add to disc" where you would select a film for purchase; how does that work exactly? When you recieve the disc (I assume you've seen the purchased product) how is the fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks again for the info!

Jason J. Gullickson December 22nd, 2005 10:25 AM

Weird

Why did "Charles Newcomb" become Guest?