My 4:3 crop to 16:9 on DV Filmmaker doesnt work on my widescreen TV. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 4th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My 4:3 crop to 16:9 on DV Filmmaker doesnt work on my widescreen TV.

Why is that? My settings on the widescreen tv are set for widescreen DVD viewing. But my image looks squished (top to bottom). Any one else face this issue with the program. Suggestions? I read on here you have to crop out the top and bottom with Premiere. That true?
James A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Davis
Why is that? My settings on the widescreen tv are set for widescreen DVD viewing. But my image looks squished (top to bottom). Any one else face this issue with the program. Suggestions? I read on here you have to crop out the top and bottom with Premiere. That true?
When you author the DVD, there is usually a setting somewhere for anamorphic. This turns on a flag bit on the DVD which tells the player that the content is in widescreen. The player will take the appropriate action for properly displaying it on your widescreen tv. But...you have to make sure you have also gone into your player's video setup and told it you have a widescreen tv attached so it knows how to handle the anamorphic flag bit. If you didn't set this bit when you authored the DVD, the player has no way of knowing and will leave it squished as you have observed.

So, it's not really your NLE at fault.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Be careful of your terminology here. A "crop" will not necessairy convert footage from one frame format to another. In fact, if you take 4x3 and sinply crop it to a 16:9, you are in all likelyhood, simply adding the black bands at the top and bottom of the 4x3 video. You have not changed it to 16:9 doing that. You have created a "letterboxed" 4x3 image.

This gets messy from this point forward. If you did tell your DVD authoring program that this is 16:9 footage, it will have probably stretched it even more.

More details please. Do you still see the black bands when watching this DVD? Are they at the top and bottom? What did you author the DVD with?

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #4
New Boot

I actually encountered this problem recently. I shot with a Panasonic DVX100A which naturally applies the letterbox black bars when shooting at 24fps. I importanted the footage and edited with Premiere Pro. First I did the editing on a 4:3 time line, then exported the movie and re-imported it into a 16:9 timeline and changed the size to 134% which basically stretches it out into "widescreen" look.

But when I authored the DVD, both 4:3 and 16:9 tvs were cutting it off. And like someone said earlier, I think it has something to do with the DVD authoring. I'll check out Encore again, and see if I can find the anarmophic setting and see if it works.
Kenny Emeson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production