DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Crying! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/55552-crying.html)

Christian Hede Madsen December 5th, 2005 12:14 PM

Crying!

Hi Everybody.

I am in the middle of a shoot and I need to get one of my actors to cry.
I have directed crying-scenes before and with a long back-ground story, patience and trust, they have turned out great.
But this girl is only 11 years old. She does not feel that strong about the character, no matter how much I explain about her terrible back-ground.
I have also tried the " think about...", but it did not bring out the performance I wanted.
I do not want to frighten her or anything like that, what I am looking for is something" that makes her tears run;)".
I mean something she could put under or in her eyes, so that she will cry.
With tears running, she can deliver the performance i need.
I just need something to make it "start".
And believe me...I have tried.
It was almost acceptable, but not as "wild" and uncontrolled as I wanted it to be!

I hate doing it this way, but you know how it is:(

Hope you can help me guys!

Richard Alvarez December 5th, 2005 12:43 PM

Same thing that makes you cry.

Onions.

Cut one, and put a TINY ammount on her upper lip. MAKE SURE THIS IS OKAY WITH HER MOM/GUARDIAN.

Rick Steele December 5th, 2005 01:32 PM

I'm always amazed at actors that seem to do this at will.

Perhaps you can invoke a memory of a lost pet? (I'm not really sure what the rules are here regarding certain "mental" images).

Steven Davis December 5th, 2005 02:17 PM

I was under the impression there are little tear makers that you can wear.

May be it was a dream.

Richard Alvarez December 5th, 2005 02:42 PM

In terms of working with children... NEVER put anything in their eyes.

There are 'glycerin' tears, that you can put on the actors cheeks just before the shot, which move slowly down the face. Some people use baby oil to the same effect. The problem being they don't ORIGINATE from the tear ducts. Whereas using a bit of onion juice on the lip MIGHT do the trick.

It is usually a difficult process, and an emotionally 'tricky' one to stimulate a child to the point of tears. It can be done, but you must not cross the line between ASKING the child to cry, and MAKING the child cry.

Emotionally bullying an actor is never justified.

Adam Keen December 5th, 2005 03:04 PM

I believe the part of the onion that makes you tear up is the center part.

Have her watch an emotional film.

Have her eat some really spicy food.

I tear up when I poke my eye. How about physically bullying? ;)

Tear gas...mace...

-Adam "cruel to children" Keen

Christian Hede Madsen December 6th, 2005 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
In terms of working with children... NEVER put anything in their eyes.

There are 'glycerin' tears, that you can put on the actors cheeks just before the shot, which move slowly down the face. Some people use baby oil to the same effect. The problem being they don't ORIGINATE from the tear ducts. Whereas using a bit of onion juice on the lip MIGHT do the trick.

It is usually a difficult process, and an emotionally 'tricky' one to stimulate a child to the point of tears. It can be done, but you must not cross the line between ASKING the child to cry, and MAKING the child cry.

Emotionally bullying an actor is never justified.

I would nevet bully a child or put anything that could cause infection in her eyes...

I think I will go for the onion...

thanks guys:)

Sean McHenry December 6th, 2005 11:51 AM

I would also think dredging up a childhood trauma for the sake of tears is probably a bad thing. Tricky situation. I'm thinking if the young actress has had actualy professional coaching she might be able to pull it off without looking fake but I would go with the glycerin or the baby oil.

If it were my kid, I wouldn't wnat them reliving the death of a loved one for example, at a younger age like this, for the sake of something that might be effectivly faked.

Sean

Chris J Davie January 4th, 2006 07:08 AM

When filming a small scene in the movie king arthur (where I was dying on the battlefield) makeup used "clear eyes" eye drops to get the tears coming. Whether it worked on screen or not is anybodys guess as they scrapped that scene from the final edit

Petr Marusek January 4th, 2006 11:49 AM

This is cruel but it works. Find out what toy the child is most attached to. Get identical toy and smash it by stepping on it. The child will burst in tears and emotions. Have the cameras rolling. Then give her her own toy back, her mom, and some gift she would love. Everyone will be happy.

Mike Marriage January 4th, 2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petr Marusek
This is cruel but it works. Find out what toy the child is most attached to. Get identical toy and smash it by stepping on it. The child will burst in tears and emotions. Have the cameras rolling. Then give her her own toy back, her mom, and some gift she would love. Everyone will be happy.

LOL... Evil... but I like it.

Matt Sawyers January 7th, 2006 02:42 AM

Quote:

Haha, that should work...i guess if worse comes to worse, lol, evil things....

Brian Duke January 7th, 2006 03:03 AM

Someone told me a good slap will do the job .... LOL

Petr Marusek January 7th, 2006 07:40 AM

Yeah, but then you're slapping a minor. I say, slap the mom. It should work equally well and if she's from Hollywood, she probably loves it. :-))

K. Forman January 7th, 2006 08:21 AM

Quote:

By age 11, I doubt that the loss of a toy would bring tears... better get her pet instead ;)