DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   The VX-1000 is no dinosaur. Trust me. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/57276-vx-1000-no-dinosaur-trust-me.html)

James A. Davis January 2nd, 2006 01:57 PM

The VX-1000 is no dinosaur. Trust me.

I shot VX-1000 footage and converted to 24p with a 3:2 pulldown (via DVfilmmaker). I did the same thing with in camera 24p on the DVX-100A. When I asked my wife to tell the difference she couldn't. I'm a 24p nut at times. When I see Postcards from Buster I personally critique the shooting. Anyways the VX has still got some life left with these 24p conversion software packs. Only drawback is low light at times. But Panasonic aint all there yet niether (consumer cams).

Ben Winter January 2nd, 2006 09:27 PM

Davis, I've got DV FilmMaker too, but whenever I do the 24p pulldown I get ugly interlacing. Should I shoot interlaced, instead of progressive Frame mode on my GL2?

Boyd Ostroff January 2nd, 2006 09:40 PM

See the FAQ on the DVfilm site: http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/help.htm

Quote:

The DeInterlace option seems to have no effect on my video, why not?
If you shot frame mode, or used a slow shutter speed of 1/30th sec or slower, cameras like the Canon XL-1 and the Sony VX-2000 will record both fields simultaneously, and so the DeInterlace option in Maker has no effect. We do not recommend shooting in these modes because non-interlaced NTSC cannot be converted to 24 fps for transfer to film, the 24P film-motion option will also not work, and also because the slower shutter speeds will blur motion much more than a movie camera would. With DVFilm Maker and standard, interlaced video, you get both film-like video suitable for digital projection and (with your unprocessed video) compatibility with transfer to film.

Ryan Graham January 3rd, 2006 11:11 AM

I agree! Great camera, easy to use, amazing picture. We used it to shoot our feature last year and then converted to 24p with Magic Bullet in After Effects. Film look compared to XL2 actually seemed to be *less* strobey (DVX100a seemed equal if not a little smoother, though). Compared to the GL2 we now own, the VX1000 seems to have slightly less resolution (looks softer) and is definitely not as good in low light. But for the price you can get it at now, it's an amazing camera.

Here's the website for our film: www.livelihoodmovie.com . There's a trailer on there, too, if you want to see the footage.

Ryan Graham
37.5 Productions
www.37point5.com

James A. Davis January 15th, 2006 12:38 PM

No 30i or 30p Ben or Deinterlacing before running it through 24p.

If you shot in 30p, frame mode, or 30i, you have a problem. 60i and 60i only is the way to go for 24p conversion. The 250 shutter speed to 24p is good for that jerky private ryan look, only there is a slight bit of strobing. But only u will notice if u look real hard. Also don't do anything to your 60i footage such as deinterlacing it. You can edit it and export it as a DV avi. But dont add any deinterlace effects. I had this problem with some of my footage but realized that the filmmaker program is already deinterlacing it for me so it was a deinterlace over another deinterlace resulting in strobe. Run the footage through the 24p and you'll see the great results.

Ben Winter January 15th, 2006 02:12 PM

Great--thanks. Also, how do you think DVFilm Maker can handle 16:9 footage? If I record, edit and export in widescreen--can DVFilm Maker handle that without any resolution loss? Or do I need to render it to letterbox with the black bars?

James A. Davis January 16th, 2006 09:22 PM

No resolution loss here.

I never had a problem in that department. It's gonna black bar it and make it look great. It's up to u and the way you shoot. Some crop (which is cheaper and considered better than anamorphic lenses). But i've seen both with no problem.