Insurance for Library? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 11th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Insurance for Library?

I am shooting a short, and I scouted out a public restroom at a small public library here in Seattle to use in my short. I have a friend who works there, so he requested permission for us to use their bathroom for about 8-10 hours.
They told him we would need insurance.
Since this is my first attempt at making a film, I have never experienced this aspect. Does anybody know where I could look for insurance for a crew of two people who are probably only using 2 lights in a super-small production?? I don't suppose my renters' insurance covers this?
I really wnated to shoot this weekend, so I am frantically searching for a solution. Thanks!
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Klatt
I am shooting a short, and I scouted out a public restroom at a small public library here in Seattle to use in my short. I have a friend who works there, so he requested permission for us to use their bathroom for about 8-10 hours.
They told him we would need insurance.
Since this is my first attempt at making a film, I have never experienced this aspect. Does anybody know where I could look for insurance for a crew of two people who are probably only using 2 lights in a super-small production?? I don't suppose my renters' insurance covers this?
I really wnated to shoot this weekend, so I am frantically searching for a solution. Thanks!
Talk to the "they" and find out what insurance is needed. Most likely it would be liability insurance and perhaps workmen's comp for your crew so the library woudn't be responsible for injury to anyone occuring on their premesis as a result of your being there. Its very doubtful your renters insurance will do it. Then call your insurance agent.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've worked in libraries for about four years now and have shot in them numerous times. I would recommend that instead of your friend you should see if you can set up an appointment with the branch manager and just politely explain what you are doing and if you can do it after-hours in a supervised setting. Since you want the weekend and the library doesn't open until ten and closes at six this should make it easier.

Many times they won't mind letting you in before the library opens to shoot your scene and somtimes people are excited by the aspect of "being a part of a movie."

Good luck.
Alec Lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Alec,
That's very encouraging...and a wise idea. I probably need a good 8 hours of filming in the bathroom, though.
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Klatt
Alec,
That's very encouraging...and a wise idea. I probably need a good 8 hours of filming in the bathroom, though.
And they're going to close off the bathroom for 8 hours during business hours? I can just see it - just as you call "action" someone rushes in singing to themselves "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now ..." LOL

You might have better luck arranging to shoot during hours the library is otherwise closed. Way back when, did a shoot in a busy shopping mall. We came in a couple of hours before the mall closed and were locked in for the night at closing time. Once the customers had left and we had a quiet set we began shooting, wrapping the next morning at 9am just before they reopened.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:32 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

When it comes to insurance, you can never have enough. I personally like using http://www.aeinsurance.com/ for my needs.

heath
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Major Player

if you need to shoot in the bathroom of the library why dont you find another bathroom that is similiar to what you're looking for. if you have problems with permission form the library just look for a school that might let you.. the finished product would be the same.
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I agree--I shoot exteriors of one place and it cuts nicely with interiors of another. We were shooting at one college years ago for a film, but the bathrooms weren't private enough, so we shot at a community college, and it cut together nicely.

hwm

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production