DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Trying to achieve a film look, with shot footage on PD170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/58598-trying-achieve-film-look-shot-footage-pd170.html)

Ismail Aslam January 18th, 2006 04:11 PM

Trying to achieve a film look, with shot footage on PD170

Hi,

I know this sounds a bit weird but im new to this 'Getting a film' look approach to DV. I've just recently shot a few interviews for a documentary which ive started editing and was just wondering if anyone out thier could lend me some advice on how to get a film look on the footage already shot, in terms of filters, plugins, settings required, also where could i download/purchase them?

Regards

Ismail

Chris Barcellos January 18th, 2006 05:31 PM

Film Look

Ismail:

When people talk about film look, they are really talking about several aspects of film that video doesn't have without some work.

First is frames per second. Film is at 24 frames per second. Normal NTSC video is 60 frames interlaced (each frame is composed of half the information in the scene in vertical stripes). Modern editors like Vegas 6 and Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro can convert to 24 frames (24p) to help get that affect. It has some drawback and motion artifacts associated with it, depending on the codec.

Second is Depth of Field: Depth of field, from what I understand, DOF is a function of the ultimate image size, the lense focal length, and the lens aperature. When we see a movie, it is shot in 35 mm, the image size is large. Depth of field provided by normal movie or 35 mm lens is relatively shallow. Problem with video is that the image size is much smaller, and from what I understand, the smaller the image size and to get the same angle of view on the image, you need a wider angle lens. If you are experience with still photography, you know that wider angle lenses produce deeper depth of field photos. One solution that has been used to get the DOF effect is the 35 mm adaptor. Essentilly, a 35mm lens is used to through picture onto a ground glass, and the video camera is used to tape the ground glass. It has a lot of problems, but a lot of people are getting good results with that.

Third is the film stock characteristics themselves- Grain, color variation, and even dust and scratches. There are many programs out there depending on you editor that you can use to reproduce some of these affects, but in order for someone to make a recommendation, you need to be more specific on what programs you are using, and what CPU system you are editing on.

There are obviously many other factors to consider. Ultimately, video is not film.

Chris Barcellos

Andy Graham January 19th, 2006 02:09 AM

Hi Ismail, another important point is the use of progressive scan cameras (which chris mentions when talking about frame rate) i.e one pass is made to scan a full frame as aposed to interlaced which does two consecutive passes, half on the first pass and half on the second pass.

I am assuming your footage was shot on an interlaced camera (if it was shot on a progressive camera you allready have a good basis for the film look).

If it is interlaced you should check out the DVFilm maker software. It deinterlaces the footage giving it a progressive look and from there you can ad CC. You can download the free demo and give it a go, you just drag the footage file and drop it into DVFilm maker and then it will give you options where you can control how much deinterlacing will take place and various other settings.

Hope it helps =) The link to DVFilm maker is bellow

http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/

Ismail Aslam January 19th, 2006 06:22 AM

what am i using...

Well im editing on final cut express 2 on a powerbook G4 512 ram, 1.67ghz.
So any plugins, tutorials reccommended?

Regards

Ismail

Andy Graham January 19th, 2006 08:20 AM

DVFilm maker has a mac version aswell

http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/

Graeme Nattress January 19th, 2006 08:26 AM

For FCP / FCE plugins - www.nattress.com should more than suite your needs. Try out the free demo and get back to me if you have any questions.

Graeme

Ismail Aslam January 19th, 2006 11:19 AM

Plugins...

Thanks mate,

they are cool plugins, just a quick question if i was to buy them, do i receive a cd via post or download them directly onto my computer? Also any student discount (worth the try:) )

Regards
Ismail

Graeme Nattress January 19th, 2006 02:39 PM

You get them via download. Email me direct on your other question.

Graeme

Ismail Aslam January 20th, 2006 06:30 AM

Hi,

Check your email, i emailed oyu from the link on your website.

Regards

Ismail Aslam

Emily Crockett March 10th, 2006 02:42 AM

Hey Ismail,
I found this helped a little - I shot a wedding on a PD170 and was pretty chuffed with the result.
In Final Cut, edit your sequence until you're happy with the cut. Then duplicate the video part of the timeline and paste it onto the end of your existing sequence. With the second / duplicate video sequence, select all of it and drop the opacity down to 30%. You can do this by going to SEQUENCE - MODIFY - LEVELS. Make sure that you tick the 'absolute' box, this will cut out any fades or anything you've got but you can fix that up later.
Then with your original sequence, select it all and drop the de-interlace filter on. I use the upper field removed (PAL).
Put the second / duplicate sequence on a video track above your first one. If you turn the snapping function on it will help to ensure that they are in identical sync.
Export this and drop it back onto your timeline to have just one video track, alternatively just render and off you go. I made a dupe of the original sequence too so I can see the difference.
It cuts out a bit of the nasty video feel.
Ciao
Emily

Furqan Dogar December 9th, 2006 01:30 PM

pal pd-170

hi ,

i shoot on a pal pd-170.
my question is that are there any on camera settings which may help in the post to achieve film look .

also is there any good and easy to use Depth of field plugin for after effects ?

bye

Rob Yannetta January 9th, 2007 11:35 AM

I have an NTSC PD170 and for DOF techniques, I was recommended to buy the ASC Film Manual. I'm glad I bought it. What a LIFESAVER! This book contains all the DOF calculations imaginable. Even at $99, this is an invaluable resource. Pick up a copy at the library and read up on DOF. This can make all your video productions look more film-like.