Finding a good script at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Donald Lee

Finding a good script

How do you, as a film-maker, find a good script (outside of writing one yourself or through friends)? I'm looking for a script for a short; I've looked at some of the script network sites such as inktip.com and scriptnet (at venicearts.com) but haven't dug into them heavily. Anyone have any good/bad experiences using these?

Also, what would be a typical price range or expectations someone would want for his/her short script? I would hope it wouldn't be that much $$ considering it had a chance to be made. But then, I may be way off.

Finally, are there any logistics or gotchas that should be considered when "purchasing" a script (besides that it should be registered or copyrighted).

Thanks for any input.
Old February 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Script

Hey Donald, I have a short script that I wouldn't mind sending you. I entered it in Slamdance a few years back and got really good comments on it. It placed high but not quite high enough to place in the winner slots.
I usually like writing and shooting my own stuff but would like to see someone take a crack at my work. Let me know.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Trustee

I picked a writer for a roommate :) You could try posting on craigslist. There are tons of budding screenwriters. The only challenge is finding one whose vision agrees with yours...
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
Hey Donald, I have a short script that I wouldn't mind sending you. I entered it in Slamdance a few years back and got really good comments on it. It placed high but not quite high enough to place in the winner slots.
I usually like writing and shooting my own stuff but would like to see someone take a crack at my work. Let me know.

Eric,
Yeah, I'll take a look at it. It'll be a good start for me. Thanks.
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5

Hi Donald,

I am a screenwriter who went to American Film Institue in Hollywood. Although, I usually write feature length scripts, I have written shorter ones.

If you don't find what you are looking for that fits your needs, you might want to develop a script that best suits you creative vision?

If you let me know what kind of short, including length, genre, number of actors, production limitations, etc I will see what I can come up with.

I am sure we can work something out for a no budget project.
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Another good resource is university undergrad or MA writing programmes. I know in the London College of Printing (which has Video/film production and screenwriting programmes), all the short scripts that the screenwriting students do are held in a database (though I don't think it's online) and filmmakers do come looking for scripts. I know a writer from the LCP who had one of her scripts turned into a very successful short film (in terms of festivals, awards, TV sales etc.) the link for the finished film is here Even creative writing courses where the students don't do film scripts for the course, might produce stories that could be adapted to a short film script.

The gotchas are that the writer has to sign the rights for thew scriptover to you, so your completely covered and any distribution of money earned is CLEARLY agreed before hand.

Last edited by Dylan Pank; February 6th, 2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

www.inktip.com has a seachable database for short scripts. ANyone can look at the listings. The synopsis are listed,along with the contact info on the writers. YOU work out the deal with the writers.

In order to seach the feature database, you have to register as a producer, agent or director.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey, Don. Are you set up for PM? Otherwise if you have a P.O. box I can mail you a hard copy. Incidentally, I'm not expecting any compensation for my work, just the ability to retain rights to my script/story alone. If that works for you let me have your info.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production