24P and DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Trustee

24P and DVD

What is the point of shooting in 24P if the finished product is a DVD? Can NTSC DVDs be in 24P? If not, is it not better to stay in 60i and avoid a conversion or two? I am planning for my next short (to be shot with an XL2), which I intend to submit to film festivals on DVD.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Absolutely, Hollywood DVD's are 24p and you too can make them. I can't speak for other NLE/DVD Authoring software but Vegas/DVD Architect can output real deal 24p DVD's. This has a nice side effect of allowing you to squeeze more video onto a 4.7gb disc at a higher bitrate too, so there are definate tangible benefits aside from having 24p from shoot to screen.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Trustee

It appears you are correct.Thank you for your input.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Jubal 28

The advantages to making a 24p DVD are several.

You'll save disc space, which can mean higher-quality video or more room for extras.

You'll be able to play native 24p with a progressive-scan player and a progressive TV -- no conversion by the DVD player. This will eliminate interlace artifacts on a progressive display.

As Daniel said, it's the way Hollywood does it.

You can mix framerates on the same disc, too. Your movie can be 24p while the extras are 60i, for example.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production