DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Mamoth magic bullet render 190 hours! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/60232-mamoth-magic-bullet-render-190-hours.html)

Jeff Baker February 9th, 2006 12:06 AM

Mamoth magic bullet render 190 hours!

I can't believe my overclocked 3.2 extreme edition has not crashed, but I have just managed to convert an 80 minute (DV) project using Magic Bullet and frameserving from Premiere Pro.

Using Debug Modes frameserver to get frames into After Effects.
Using Magic Bullet with a detail size of 2 and removing DV artifacts checked.
Also added agloiths anti-aliasing filter for good measure
coverting to 30P (I may also create a 24P using Vegas 6 from the bulleted footage).

I just had to share because I can't believe it actually worked without crashing for 190 hours.
Was it worth it? Don't know yet, but so far the results look very nice indeed.

Marcus Marchesseault February 9th, 2006 04:38 AM

Show off! :)

Vincent Rozenberg February 9th, 2006 04:44 AM

Almost 8 days of rendering!?!? Wow!! Good for you that it worked out! Reminds me of the good ol' days, back in the late nineties with After Effects 3, did a whole week of rendering for a couple of minutes advanced chroma keying with some other effects (Gaussian blur... wow...). I wonder how long it would take if you did your thing on that system back then.. 190 days probably..? ;-)

Jeff Baker February 9th, 2006 11:38 AM

I really can't believe it worked - I thought for sure it would crash.
I remember those early days of "big" 9gb scsi drives and 200mhz rendering as well. I don't think I could have pulled this off then as my system had to process over 125000 frames.

Saturnin Kondratiew February 9th, 2006 12:34 PM

yes the goold od days, would take 2 days to render a 3min music video. i think that was in like 97

Don Donatello February 10th, 2006 02:03 PM

"I may also create a 24P using Vegas 6 from the bulleted footage"

30p looks great on monitors and digital projection but it converts to 24p, 25p , & film TERRIBLE !!!

if you want 24p or PAL , or out to FILM go back to your 60i and convert that to 24p ...

Jeff Baker February 10th, 2006 07:44 PM

I am just looking at the results today of 30P to 24P using Vegas 2-3 pulldown method. My hope was that having the frames already progressive would make the conversion easier. Once I get the DVD made and play it on an interlaced crt monitor in progressive mode I will know it worked or not.

Don Donatello February 10th, 2006 11:07 PM

why not just make a 24p DVD ?

when you play it on DVD players the player will add the pull down ..

Laurence Kingston February 11th, 2006 12:25 PM

I understand that Magic Bullet has just recently added GPU acceleration to some of it's plugins. If you used this you might drop down the rendering time to just a day or two.

Jeff Baker February 11th, 2006 03:19 PM

Why just not make a 24P DVD? Should I let the DVD player do the pull down?

Good question. I have tried numerous times to make this project 24P directly from the 60i source. So far none have worked well enough or look right when played back on the DVD.

I have tried direct from vegas 6 to 24p DVD using several methods and none ended up with the right feel for the motion.

I have tried doing small segments using the Bullet 24P method, but that even looked worse than the Vegas 6 method.

Twixtor Plugin along with it's deinterlacer plugin came close to what I wanted, but unless I had the time to tweak it scene by scene it did not look right.
(I can't take a 80 minute project with thousands of cuts and go scene by scene, its just not in me...)

So, I thought I would try going to 29.97P instead and use that as my source material to work from in getting the 24P look right.

I just finished doing the 30P to 24P conversion via Vegas 6's 24P dvd template which includes a 2-3 pull down. The results are Okay. Pans a quick moves still don't behave like they would on film, but it is close.

The deinterlace from magic bullet with the detail setting lowered to 2 (4 is the default) worked wonders for the quaility - it looks great. But I understand that 30P DVDs don't really work. Is that right? They end up upper field first and get re-interlaced in a much worse way than 24P as I understand it.

I will look into the gpu acceleration, I have not kept up with my magic bullet plugins because I think they want me to pay for a update I can't currently afford.

I have not tried the Vasst (is that right?) plugin for Vegas so I can't comment on it.