Filmaking Tutorials software (helpful) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Steve House,

You are 100% right i used the wrong term " COOL " hahah sorry about that...

Steven Witt,

Thats' amazing I just booked marked that page... I will rent these DVD's sometime next week :)

I LOVE THIS FORUM its soooo helpful and great to hear what many people have to say :)

Joey!!!! ;>
Joey Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #17
Major Player

hello Joey Dee,
I hope I'm wrong but I think that website only rents/ships to the US and Canada. You may want to contact them and ask. I noticed that you are from the UK.
It looks like it will cost over $100.00 to rent the entire course (6 disks)
and you only get to keep each disk for one week. Maybe at those rates, somebody would be better off purchasing it so you can keep refering back to it.
Its not like they would ever really become outdated or useless.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Steve House,

Ya thats' a good observation... however i am from Canada i am just in the UK on holidays.. I always go back and forth from US-CND-UK...

So i will rent those DVD's when i go back home in the next couple of weeks... Also here's a question... Let's say i rent these DVD... i have a DVD burner i am sure i can burn them???

What you guys think???? You would it concidered like pirating and none of you support that.. To be honest i never burnt a DVD... I just bought a brand new IMAC G5 and it kicks ass... so why not try it out???

Joey =0
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
So i will rent those DVD's when i go back home in the next couple of weeks... Also here's a question... Let's say i rent these DVD... i have a DVD burner i am sure i can burn them???

What you guys think???? You would it concidered like pirating and none of you support that.. To be honest i never burnt a DVD... I just bought a brand new IMAC G5 and it kicks ass... so why not try it out???

It is without question piracy and against the law to rent these DVDs and then burn copies.

If it was legal to do that, there would not be one price to rent and one price to own.

Should they ever decide to broadcast these on free to air TV then you would be free to tape the show and watch it at your leisure.

Sorry to sound blunt (I'm a teacher after all) but there shouldn't be any ambiguity on this issue.

(Unless something in the "HOLLYWOOD CAMERA WORK" DVD's licence says different, which I very much doubt...)
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Dee
Hey Steve House,

Ya thats' a good observation... however i am from Canada i am just in the UK on holidays.. I always go back and forth from US-CND-UK...

Joey =0
AFAIK, they have the same copy protection that regular movie DVDs have. I did rent the series - you save money by renting the 3 pairs of disks as sets instead of all 6 separately - I think it came to a total of about $60. Money well spent!
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Dylan,

You're right it is against the law... Im a Uni student and many teachers of mine fotocopy from text books and hand to students.. isn't that also a breach????

Either way I will rent them when i come back to Canada... I am sure that I will get my money's worth, I guess i was just being ignorant when i mentioned " i never used my DVD-Burner " on my Apple...

sorryabout that fellas ;)
Joey =)
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Dee
Dylan,

You're right it is against the law... Im a Uni student and many teachers of mine fotocopy from text books and hand to students.. isn't that also a breach????

E....
Joey =)
I understand that in that specific circumstance, copying for classroom use, there is an exception in the copyright law that allows for something like 10 or 15 percent of a work to be copied. I am not a lawyer so I don't know if that's true and if it applys to anything other than printed matter but contacts at the school board have told me that's the way it works for books and journals.
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #23
Major Player

People on this board, of all peoples, should respect the copyright laws and respect the creators who worked to make these DVDs. Creating original DVDs and Videos is what we ourselves are more than likely trying to do off this board. Respect the creations of others.

Last edited by Steve Witt; February 18th, 2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old February 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #24
Major Player

Neat!!!!!

I was reading thru the Technical Video Rental site again and they take requests.
If you look in the FAQ link it states that the obtain a whopping 90% of requested material to rent out. I have requested a Lighting series and the Camera Command DVD. Also the film school DVD series. If people show enough interest in DV/filmmaking material to them we will have it ALL at our fingertips. Contact them and show interest in videos you want too.
http://www.cameracommand.com/

http://www.power-of-lighting.com/videos.html

http://www.webfilmschool.com/
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
I understand that in that specific circumstance, copying for classroom use, there is an exception in the copyright law that allows for something like 10 or 15 percent of a work to be copied. I am not a lawyer so I don't know if that's true and if it applys to anything other than printed matter but contacts at the school board have told me that's the way it works for books and journals.
Steve, that's exactly how it works. We can reproduce 10% or one chapter (whichever is more) of a book, one article of a journal, newspapers, photgraphs or TV programmes we're covered by fair use - that is we can show excerpts in class as long as its for educational purposes.

That's not to say a great deal of copyright violation doesn't on in universities on that part of staff and students.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production