Help with Prom "story".... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Tourist

Help with Prom "story"....

I just got asked to make a "movie" on prom night here at the school that the junior class will sell for a profit. I have done a highlight film for the football team as well, which the kids loved, but doing sports and doing prom I think are two different things. Perhaps my lack of confidence is due to my lack of experience.

I'm just looking for some good tips on selecting a "story" and getting that to flow smoothly.

I thought I would start the video with a b/w zooming pictures of some decorations, lights and stuff, then on the last shot before the movie starts to flow, i'd fade color in in select areas.

As far as the prom goes, there are a few different parts. Well, the parts I feel are big:

1-the arrival
2-grand march
3-dance
4-post prom

I'm guessing I would not want to make this more then 30 minutes. So, without any further delay, I'll sit back and wait for the "experts" :)

Thanks!
Nate Lamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Major Player

If you have time, pick a few kids to interview at home (like a week before) before the prom and ask questions about what they think the experience wil be like etc., and then follow up with them at the event. And then you could interview them like a week after too.

As a promo you could ask the junior-class organizers to sponsor a raffle to choose the the kids who would get interviewed -- and that could tie into the fundraising.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Tourist

I have thought of doing voice overviews, not too many, but just a few during the grand march or what makes the students excited about the night. Then at the end have what made the night special. Just that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

Anyone else have some ideas?
Nate Lamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

30 minutes? I would go much shorter than that...it is really hard to keep peoples attention for tha long...go for 7-10 minutes. That way it will not have any dull moments...short and sweet.

In my opinion, if you want to sell the video, you shouldn't really focus on a few students, but rather show as many people as you can. People will buy it if they can see themselves in it.

I like to do a lot of quick cuts to music to fit in a bunch of smiling faces. One cool trick is to setup another camera station and get groups of people to sing along to a popular (but happy) song. Then you can cut it all together like the credits of Something About Mary. People love that!!!! :)

Avoid anything that may be considered embarrassing or inappropriate. The kids won't buy it if they are scared that Mom and Dad might see them making out in the corner. ;)

Maybe the school will let you show the video someplace at school...if it is good...that could really increase sales...especially for all the people who saw themselves.
Jason Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Major Player

THese are all great ideas.....also....you may want to post this in the wedding/event section.....perhaps you'll get the advice from those who have shot this type event.

definately shoot as many kids as possible.....do not make any one person the "sole" attraction...ie. the popular kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Murphy
30 minutes? I would go much shorter than that...it is really hard to keep peoples attention for tha long...go for 7-10 minutes. That way it will not have any dull moments...short and sweet.

In my opinion, if you want to sell the video, you shouldn't really focus on a few students, but rather show as many people as you can. People will buy it if they can see themselves in it.

I like to do a lot of quick cuts to music to fit in a bunch of smiling faces. One cool trick is to setup another camera station and get groups of people to sing along to a popular (but happy) song. Then you can cut it all together like the credits of Something About Mary. People love that!!!! :)

Avoid anything that may be considered embarrassing or inappropriate. The kids won't buy it if they are scared that Mom and Dad might see them making out in the corner. ;)

Maybe the school will let you show the video someplace at school...if it is good...that could really increase sales...especially for all the people who saw themselves.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production