Rodriguez success yet to be replicated? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:57 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

I should tell you that Spielberg never went to USC.
Or maybe I'm wrong, but he definately never went to film academy, like Lucas did.
Spielberg got rejected twice, if I'm not mistaken, and went on to follow English classes, but got in the television business.
I think other people (Steven Awalt maybe ;-)?) knows this better.

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:10 PM   #32
Major Player

Opps!

Opps! My mistake! Thanks Mathieu for pointing that out. Now to dig myself out of that hole....

Back in 1968, Spielberg went to the USC films screening and saw Lucas's student film "THX - 1138 - 4eb" (which is not the same as the "THX" film he later released). He was so impressed by it after the show be went backstage and met Lucas and Coppola. That's were they first met and there relationship started. So USC brought them together...

Hah! And you all thought I was stuck in that dig forever!

Many years later Barwood and Robbins helped Lucas get back in contact with Spielberg (who was almost part of the furniture at Universal Studios - the initials US are close to USC!) and their relationship was re-established.

Never-the-less, it's safe to say, that all these people are inter-related.

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #33
Major Player

Behind every powerful man is a woman hand...find out who his wife and you'll see why RR is so successful. She is the hustler.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #34
Major Player

His wife, from what I have seen and researched has very little to do with his success. Rodriguez built his career with Mariachi and him coming down to LA to sell his first movie, "El Mariachi". In his book, Rodriguez NEVER makes a mention about his wife being involved with his endeavor to sell the movie. It was all him and him making his own connections.

Sure, now that he is successful, I'm sure she is a big part of his continouing success, but not in the beginning.

EDIT: I think people are trying to hard to be like others. Rodriguez had a vision and like many others have mentioned on this thread already, that is what made him unique. People focusing on being like someone else and to duplicate the steps one man took to become successfull will make that person trying unsuccessfull. That's my point of view. It was a different time and he utilized things and methods that others coudlnt' think of at the time. He was INNOVATIVE. Today, it's hard to find that innovation because everything is easily accessable.

Don't try to duplicate and strive to make your own story. Place your own mark in the industry. Instead of digesting one mans success, digest your own abilities and expand them to the fullest until you acheive your goal.
Roger Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #35
New Boot

With Rodriguez you have the perfect match of Hustle, Talent and Technical Knowledge. After reading his book I came away with one very important point and that is that the film industry is inundated with a "you cant do that" mentality. He urges the readers to make films within their means instead of trying to make a film the way they think they should.

A good example of this that I have a number of friends that went to proper film school while I choose the route of New Media Design. After working in post production for a number of years and shooting all digitally I have an apreciation on how you can make a film with a a decent camera a decent computer and some creative planning. My friends however are endlessly talking about the film that they are going to make as soon as they can raise the 10,000 for their 20 minute short. They still spend entire days lighting scenes and refuse accept the digital revolution.

I have not doubt that in 20 yrs they will have comfortable union jobs and will have still never made the film that they wanted to make. On ther other hand my co-worker and I will probably have our first short under our belts by the end of the summer.
Shaun Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #36
Air China Pilot

Takashi Miike is another good example of a filmmaker who really generates and works with what he has at hand. His films vary greatly in budget (and in quality - though there is no correlation). He's shot in MiniDV, BetaSP, (not sure about HD yet) and film. His output is crazy. Like average 4 films a year. I think he is shooting so much because he knows that life is short.
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #37
Inner Circle

>>Yes, the reason Rodriguez gets his money NOW is because he makes "Hollywood low budget films", "stays within budget" and "makes a profit". But the reason he got to where he is, is because he loves films. "El Mariachi" was never intended to be successful. He made it to get experience. He planned to make a sequel to again, get experience. He planned for his third film to make him rich and famous so he could continue to get money to make films.<<

Chris, I never meant to imply he was only about the money. I meant that he knows how to manipulate the Hollywood system to his own advantage.
There isn't some commitee some where deciding the final cut of any of his movies. Thats a great place to be in. I don't envy him, I admire him.
I know he loves cinema and digital tools to create with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production