face powder for forehead reflections at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Major Player

face powder for forehead reflections

When interviewing "talking heads", how do you handle shiny faces?

I know some places just have a makeup kit with powder and use the same applicator (puff) on everyone.

But is there such a thing as a single use, disposable powder applicator?

What do you use?
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I grab some powder from my wife (she has various shades) and she's got some puffs that I think she gets at a store (makeup place so I don't go in to often-like never)-she buys them in a package and keeps 1 for each shade-real cheap so she buys me a couple of packages so I've got 1 for each shade and 1 for each person if I need it but honestly I don't think I've used it but once in almost a year.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes there is, they sell them where they sell makeup. Any dept. store or drug store will have them. I use the single disposable applicators all the time. The look like little triangular sponges. Hope that helps.
Mark
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Major Player

My local theatrical supply house actually sent me to Dollar General to buy sponges. They said I could get a bag on 100 for what they'd have to charge me for a few of them from their distributor.

Any cheap 5&10 store will have these. They are makeup sponges.

It's worth finding a theatrical supply house for the makeup. They have a lot of different shine options and fixatives for once the makeup is on. The stuff is cheap and is made exactly for the uses you need.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks all!
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Major Player

I have not tried these, but they look interesting enough.

http://www.cleanandclear.com/product...l_absorb.shtml

Bill
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Be careful with the makup you select. Some of it reacts a bit unusual under the lights. I am willing to bet that your subjects will appreciate your efforts much better if you can get a few different shades of whatever product you decide on.

If you are looking for a "puff" then sally beauty supply is a great place to go and from what I have seen the tad bit more expensive seems to work a bit better.

MAC brand makeup is expensive but looks GREAT under lights.

The above info is from the wife ;) Year and years of her experience doing professional photo shoots and her dads background of YEARS in the film business. I have knowledge of this at all. I just do what she tells me to do before I click the shutter.
Bob Sandifer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production