DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Difficult Locations, (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/64861-difficult-locations.html)

Paul Jefferies April 11th, 2006 02:25 PM

Difficult Locations,

Hi,
Although big budget productions can get any locations they want using their big cheque book, I have always been working in the very low budget arena, and I'm curious to get opinions from your own experience-what are the most difficult places to find/use as locations? Either because of logistical problems (no power, too noisy, too cramped etc), due to rarity, or simply due to the difficulty or expense of getting permission? Some locations which I have found to be hard to get in the past include:

Aircraft/Airports (security issues, expensive permits)
Trains and Stations (security, expense, safety)
Motor car interiors (cramped, hard to control lighting)

Any others to add to this list?

Chien Huey April 11th, 2006 09:50 PM

Modern minimalist apartments.

Discounting all the obvious ones - some of which you've mentioned - due to permits, security, money, etc... Modern minimalist apartments drive me crazy.

I shot a film recently where the director lined up 3 very high-end NYC apartments (one of which belongs to a pretty famous comedian). These apartments were definitely very expensive and very white. Every flat surface was white - making it very difficult to generate contrast. Add to the fact that my G&E order was split in half - I had to improvise flags for negative fill.

Last week, I shot another film that was supposed to take place in a gallery. Again, expensive places (one gallery wanted $5M/day to shoot there). Again, all white walls!

Boyd Ostroff April 11th, 2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chien Huey
one gallery wanted $5M/day to shoot there

$5 million a day????

Mike Teutsch April 11th, 2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
$5 million a day????

Probably means $5,000/day. M=1000?

Boyd Ostroff April 11th, 2006 10:21 PM

Really? ;-)

In the world of finance, "M" means million....

Chien Huey April 12th, 2006 11:55 AM

Yup, M=million

And that's United States Dollars. Needless to say, the producers chose a different location. Supposedly, the $5M was to cover their operating expenses for the day and they wanted an additional $10,000 fee for the use of their space.

It's a free market - they can ask whatever they want and we can walk away. Though, supposedly the producer decided to mess with them a little and said "okay" when they said the fee was $5M. The lady didn't flinch and started gathering up the paperwork. Though I find it very difficult to believe that any production, short of the big $200M blockbusters (and even then), would pay that type of money for that type of location.

Mike Teutsch April 12th, 2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chien Huey
It's a free market - they can ask whatever they want and we can walk away. Though, supposedly the producer decided to mess with them a little and said "okay" when they said the fee was $5M. The lady didn't flinch and started gathering up the paperwork. Though I find it very difficult to believe that any production, short of the big $200M blockbusters (and even then), would pay that type of money for that type of location.

Very funny! And yes, I bet they probably have never gotten 5M/day ever. What a Joke!