Linda Vista hospital at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Linda Vista hospital

Anyone here ever shot at Linda Vista hospital or a similar abandoned hospital location (in LA) and know how much that cost?
Doug Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #2
New Boot

Long shot, I know, but anyone?
Doug Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm sure that it varies with the type of production, etc. It's probably more of a bid/estimate situation than a flat fee per hour. They require a lot of insurance and other information. It's not a situation for a microbudget film, I'm sure of that much...

This is from the website:

Location Agreements must be fully executed prior to entry onto premises.

FEES
All Fees are to be paid in the form of two (2) Cashier’s Check, Fees and Security Deposit.
Security Deposits are returned to Production within ten (10) days of location wrap.

PERMITS
Productions are required to permit all filming with the City of Los Angeles,
adhering to all city film regulations.

INSURANCE
General $1 Million Liability Insurance is required

OVERTIME
Overtime Charges are charged at a rate of time-and-a-half (1.5 per hour).
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Doug,
I just went through the hospital search for a microbudget project. Most of them are $1500 to $5000 per day and require permits, insurance etc. We were really blessed in that we found a skilled nursing center that allowed us to shoot for a full day for free, all we needed was insurance, which was about $750. The State has properties, including a closed hospital in Norwalk and there are no fees, unless you need a monitor; however, it's a bare facility, and you would have to provide everyhting to dress it up, and maybe even power.

Someone turned me on to cinemascout.com not long ago for another location and it seems to be pretty helpful. You may give them a try.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #5
New Boot

Yeah, I've been using cinemascout extensively. It's a great resource. Thanks for the info on Norwalk. We are fully insured, but I'm thinking that it doesn't suit our purposes this time. Oh well.

Thanks for the info.
Doug Spice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production